Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,715   Online: 810

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    gotta say, I've had the same problem with Nikon equipment from them. Bought an N60. Worked in only manual. Sent it back and it took forever to get the refund. That one was EX. On the other hand, I got a Canon F-1 (old) in BG condition, and well, it's a tank. Everything works perfectly including the meter. I bought my first DSLR from them too, way back, a Canon 10D. The condition was EX+ but the battery was nearly dead. I mentioned that to them and they sent me a free new battery.

Honestly though, they don't test the cameras well - if at all - so I'd go eBay and ask the seller detailed questions if you want a "good one" from the get go. eBay will be cheaper too, in most cases.

Gee all of this sounds rather disappointing about KEH, I was looking at some items there and now I wonder what's up with the testing and rating of cameras and lenses. I haven't made a purchase yet, maybe more info is required?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have concerns ask questions. I've bought lenses, camera bodies and odds and ends and I've always been happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have bought a handful of things from keh.
    no bodies but ...
    1 ps, 3 35mm lenses, and 2 LF lenses.
    they were all bgn conditon and all arrived
    in better condition than expected. some things
    looked never used.

but as with everything YMMV

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both my F4s were bargain grade. Like almost everything else I have. Both worked fine. They look used but they must be 20 years old. One advantage of the Fs is they were pro cameras so built tougher. Of course this means they often were used tough.

Shipping isn't that bad IMHO. Unless you buy something like a case in which case forget it. OTOH shipping is high enough it makes sense to order a few things at once rather then a body today a lens next month etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No complaints about the 2 BGN lenses I've bought from them. I also bought a BGN N90S body. Cosmetically, it is worse than the lenses, with some deep scratches, and coating peeled off the back, but that doesn't bother me and is reasonable for the rating. It is fully functional, and has produced perfect results on the three films I have shot so far.

The MF-26 back that it was supplied with went haywire after 2 films and rendered the camera unusable until I removed the data back batteries. Not worth sending back, so I am just going to leave the batteries out and do without the functionality.

Living in the UK, I would only buy cheaply priced BGN bodies from KEH, on the assumption they are probably going to work fine, but it isn't feasible to return them if there is a fault so I might have to write off the purchase price.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Gee all of this sounds rather disappointing about KEH, I was looking at some items there and now I wonder what's up with the testing and rating of cameras and lenses. I haven't made a purchase yet, maybe more info is required?
    I asked them specifically about this and they said that they rate on cosmetics ONLY.

And, again, with one exception, I've not had problems with lenses from KEH - only with Nikon 35mm bodies.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just purchased a Nikon N90s in EX condition for $109.00 from them. It looks brand new, not a scratch on it and everything seems to work fine except that it fails to recognize the DX code. When this roll is done I will check to see if someone purposely defeated the sensor.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetfire View Post
    I just purchased a Nikon N90s in EX condition for $109.00 from them. It looks brand new, not a scratch on it and everything seems to work fine except that it fails to recognize the DX code. When this roll is done I will check to see if someone purposely defeated the sensor.
    I'm sure you already thought of this, but is the film speed set to DX (the value between 6 and 6400) when you adjust the ISO?

The only reason I ask is that my used N90S arrived with it set to 100 and I assumed the DX coding wasn't working at first. It was only after two rolls of film that I was playing around with the settings and figured it out!

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never thought of that and didn't see a reference to it in the online manual I found. Many thanks.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Jim, how much wear and tear was on the F4s[#2]?

Is it worth paying $150 more for a EX body?
    Some scratches and marks, but no dents. Basically, just evidence that the camera had been well-used (but not abused) in its life.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin