Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,736   Posts: 1,515,500   Online: 1086

Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doubt very much they will mark a package as a "gift".

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm in UK, and likewise resent the imposition of VAT, clearance charges, etc., on items imported for private use. It's even worse now that easy money-transfer and Ebay, etc., make it simple to buy overseas.

Problem is that mis-declaration as a "gift" is illegal, and (at the very least) can result in the packet being held by Customs until the matter's sorted out.
    I had a genuine "gift" parcel from a friend held for some weeks, just because it looked as though it had been sent from a commercial address. :rolleyes:

Not worth trying to save a few ££'s, IMHO...best allow for potential VAT charge in working out whether it's worth buying abroad.

Shooter
    35mm
    errrrrrrrrr...

how much would i have to pay for if the good is about 220 GBP?
    sorry for asking about this...
    but i am not very familiar with it and still not get used to it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That would be fraud if they marked it as a gift.

What's your VAT rate? 15% I think (I know it was 17.5%). Take .15 and multiply it by your shipment's purchase price.

Add in 5 pounds or whatever the Royal Mail charges you for Customs administration charges.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    VAT and duty seems very hit and miss. I've had plenty of items sent to me from outside the EU which went straight through customs without a charge, even sent from business addresses.

However, all 4 packages I've been sent from KEH have been held until I paid import fees at the sorting office.

Be aware some items are liable for import duty in addition to 15% VAT. There is a list on the UK customs web site. The Post Office charge a handling fee for taking the customs fees, it's either £8 or £13, can't remember which but those figures stick in my mind.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i dont see a point to buy it from KEH now...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You are asking somebody else to break the law, why would any reputable concern do that??..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    KEH have an incredible and ever-changing range of stock. Despite the fees, on each occasion I paid significantly less than buying from an unknown individual on EBay, or a UK dealer.

I would tend to avoid KEH for expensive gear that's full of electronics because of the hassle of returns, but most of my purchases have been manual lenses with very little to go wrong, plus an electronic camera body that was so cheap I was prepared to take the chance of binning it if it wasn't working (for the record, it's still working perfectly, 9 months later).

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Camera gear has a 6% import tax into the EU on the whole price inc shipping

Then they add VAT on to the whole amount inc the 6% camera tax.

To avoid this the agent (DHL, FedEx, who ever) tend to go for a standard flat %age - when I did it last year it was around 25% of the whole USA transaction fee (price of goods + shipping)

No buisness is going to mis-declare the value of good for you.

1) Its illegal

2) If they are caught the customs & revenue people can make life hell for the buisness

Work out if you think the cost save is big enough to warrent the risk - returning faulty goods to outside the EU is mega hasstle - the cost savings have to be significant to make it worth while.

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Martin is correct in that the UK VAT is applicable on the purchase price plus shipping and inflated by the import tax at the applicable rate.
    However the exemption threshold was raised to £105.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7727717.stm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin