Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,167   Online: 745

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021222327 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    The BGN-graded Nikkors I've gotten from KEH have been decent. You don't get caps.
    Unless they are listed to include caps.

I've bought BGN that have seemed almost new. It doesn't take much of a finish damage [a small scratch is enough] to have a lens downgraded. None of mine have ever shown glass issues. On the binding the only time I've seen this was lenses that had been sitting. I guess the lube had dried out. Just using the lens was enough to get things working like normal.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have never purchased a lens from KEH, always somewhere else, mostly eBay. Because in my opinion KEH's bargain lens pricing isn't that much of a bargain, comparatively.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think KEH's prices are very reasonable. Also, KEH is very predictable. You know more or less what you are going to get. eBay is, comparatively, a crapshoot. You can get a fantastic bargain, but you can also get a lens that is substantially inferior to what you were expecting.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I find that the BGN grade lenses are a much better way to go than ebay. All but one of the lenses I have for my RB67 and 645 Super and 2 Canon L lenses were bought in BGN grade from KEH and all are in much better shape than I expected (no glass issues at all). The one I bought from ebay was from a supposed reputable dealer in EX condition and it looked much worse than any KEH lens I have purchased.

The prices seem to be about the same as on ebay and I get a warranty from KEH. I don't even consider ebay anymore when looking for a lens.
    Last edited by Travis Nunn; 12-30-2008 at 09:07 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got lens from both ebay (most often) and KEH. I've not been unhappy with any camera purchase from Ebay, and have sent two items back to KEH.

For the items I've bought, I give a plus to ebay for pricing, and a plus to KEH for return policy. Guess you have to decide which is more important to you.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find Ebay prices higher for anything interesting. You can get lucky on stuff nobody else wants but I've seen plenty of Ebay stuff for a fair bit more then KEH. Or Mpex.

Both KEH and Mpex have in the past [and I assume still do] sell on Ebay. I always found it funny when people would bid more for the same item on Ebay then it was being sold in their shops. :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're right, you have to be a smart shopper and do your research at ebay. At KEH you can just order and see what it's like, they have a great return policy.

I just bought a Pentax digital spot meter off ebay for just under $120, working great and is in near mint condition.

I don't think you're going to find one at KEH or MPEX at that price.

This isn't a cut on KEH or MPEX, I've used them both and will again. I just think sales are safe on ebay, if you do your homework. Also, the prices can be a lot cheaper if you are patient.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I would buy the worst BGN lens from KEH with more confidence than ANY lens on e-bay. KEH is an honest, reliable dealer with an excellent return policy.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    You're right, you have to be a smart shopper and do your research at ebay. ... I just think sales are safe on ebay, if you do your homework. Also, the prices can be a lot cheaper if you are patient.
    I'll be the third to say that you absolutely have to be a smart shopper on eBay. When you get a bargain, it's truly a great bargain. I've gotten a number of great bargains myself. But you'd better be clear up front what it is. My experience is that 75% of the time someone says they "know nothing about camera equipment" means it's broken or otherwise impaired. Sure, sometimes old Uncle Harry passes on and the kids truly don't know anything about camera stuff but know how to list it on eBay, but most of that goes to scavengers buying at estate sales.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is something for much money I alwys talk first hand with the seller. I "think" this gives me a better feel for the situation than just reading the text.

I agree, "I know nothing about cameras" is generally code for buyer beware.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin