Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,478   Online: 963

Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819202122232428 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I would buy the worst BGN lens from KEH with more confidence than ANY lens on e-bay. KEH is an honest, reliable dealer with an excellent return policy.
    Ditto... I have also bought from both and with extreme care and document control have successfully returned bad items from ebay however I did get stuck once and that probably covered savings from others. KEH almost exclusively now.

-Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since I'm watching for a 40mm for my hassy, I'm changing my mind.

No one should bid on any Hasselbad 40mm lens on ebay, no matter how tempting the price may be.

At least until I've got one bought.

Mike
    Last edited by mikebarger; 12-31-2008 at 07:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will find out soon enough, and let you know. I just ordered an FD 28mm f/2.0. I have purchased BGN accessories, but this will be my first BGN lens.

My thoughts are that BGN items probably cover a large range of conditions that are not quite clean enough to fall into the EX or above categories, but also are not quite bad enough to belong in the UG category.

Remember that BGN *is* their second-worst condition. UG is the next one down. According to their percentages, a BGN rating is like getting a C grade in a class. The low end of a C is almost a non-passing grade, and the high end of a C is almost a B.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-31-2008 at 04:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    BGN is Well used, with scratches, paint wear, and all that stuff, but should work perfectly.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ...My thoughts are that BGN items probably cover a large range of conditions that are not quite clean enough to fall into the EX or above categories, but also are not quite bad enough to belong in the UG category.

Remember that BGN *is* their second-worst condition. UG is the next one down. According to their percentages, a BGN rating is like getting a C grade in a class. The low end of a C is almost a non-passing grade, and the high end of a C is almost a B.
    You are correct in that BGN is the second worst condition, but consider this. I have purchased 9 BGN grade lenses from KEH (4 for an RB67, 3 for a Mamiya 645 and 2 Canon L lenses) and the glass on each of them is flawless. I certainly don't mind a little scratch or missing paint here and there.

Some are worse than others, but that is to be expected. The way it usually works for me is I open the package and then try to figure out why it's rated as BGN.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've gotten KEH BGN lenses before that would normally be considered Ebay MINT but I've also gotten a beater before too, but still very usable. If I recall correctly, KEH has a 14 day return policy if you aren't happy (probably the shipping charge would be the only gamble) and a 60 day warranty to boot.

Shooter
    35mm
    In many purchases I have never been disappointed with a BGN lens from KEH.

Chris

Images
    I've purchased two BGN cameras from KEH. Both were great. On one, someone had scraped off the name of the camera, very carefully, so that the camera was unmarked. Otherwise that camera was perfect. The second, a Nikonos, said 'engraved'. Someone had written their name with a permanent marker on the soft plastic back and the filter ring was dented slightly. The writing was mostly cleaned off, but it was still visible. The filter ring I didn't need so I live with it. I'll fix it later.

If you want to know why an item is BGN, you can call and ask them to call you back when they have the item in their hands. They will tell you what they see.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    35mm

BGN can be, well, a bargain.

Hello all, I'm new, this is my first post. I have purchased from KEH for many years and my only complaint is that they don't let you go to their store and browse! They have a great inventory and a great return policy.

My experience with the BGN grade items has varied. I got a Nikon 28-70/3.5-4.5 that had a sticky zoom ring but is otherwise great, and a Tamron 2x converter with some rub marks right in the center of the front element that didn't seem to affect image quality (but it's a paperweight these days). The worst item I ever bought from them was a super-cheap prism for my RB67; it was mechanically fine but it was simply filthy, inside and out! An hour of cleaning, and I had it looking very good indeed.

Any used camera/lens can have problems. I bought an F4 from them in EX+ condition, and it had a bad aperture lever :o. I sent it back and they sent me another one; this time a very late-model F4, almost the last made with a serial number of 25xxxxx which works perfectly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!!!

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin