Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,507   Online: 1063

Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91314151617181920212223242529 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've bought a few items through KEH, all used.
    A Hasselblad 503cx in bargain condition came to me in what I consider ex+ with the exception of the internal flocking having cracked. That's apparently very common and it isn't floating around inside the camera. Also the screen, an acute matte (nice!) had pencil marks on the underneath to indicate an 8x10 cropped image. Otherwise I got a steal.

The back and insert didn't match (I knew this), but back was from the 80s, the insert from the 70s. The back itself was in fine shape, the insert looked like it had been smashed against something at some point. It works fine, i'm happy for what I paid.

I just wish you could go visit them and walk through the store. I worked with a guy who would go up there every once in a while.. told stories of 'isles' of display cases stacked with hassy's and leicas.. boxes of stuff you could sort through.

That's my kind of vacation!

Although I ended up buying the lens off ebay.. I got a fair deal on the lens but I was lucky. I usually prefer KEH for certain things as their price tends to be lower. Plus they have an excellent return policy and the customer service has been top-notch for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought a few things off them, all BGN. Apart from one lens having faulty autofocus (which they replaced no problem) they've all been perfect optically with one or two minor cosmetic issues which suits me just fine. My big whinge is that our currency has fallen to the point where it's almost twice as expensive to buy from them now. Oh well...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Remember that BGN *is* their second-worst condition. UG is the next one down. According to their percentages, a BGN rating is like getting a C grade in a class. The low end of a C is almost a non-passing grade, and the high end of a C is almost a B.
    2F/2F,

You are wrong. A D is still passing. Therefore BGN is from C- to C+ and UG is from D- to D+. They have non-operational cameras in there Collector Items.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I've purchased many items from KEH and also sold items to them. Never a problem, great return policy. They have my highest recommendation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    2F/2F,

You are wrong. A D is still passing. Therefore BGN is from C- to C+ and UG is from D- to D+. They have non-operational cameras in there Collector Items.

Steve
    Where is a D passing? I want to go to THAT school!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Where is a D passing? I want to go to THAT school!
    Any elementary, middle school, or high school will have a D as a passing grade.
    Any college or university for undergraduate work will have a D as a passing grade. Grad school work will have a C as a passing grade.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Any elementary, middle school, or high school will have a D as a passing grade.
    Any college or university for undergraduate work will have a D as a passing grade. Grad school work will have a C as a passing grade.

Steve
    I highly dispute this. No school I have ever attended (all public) has ever allowed a D to pass to the next class or get degree credit. This includes the CC I currently attend.

I am reading my school catalog right now. Degree requirements are not counted by the school, or for transfer to public universities unless they are completed "with a minimum grade of C".

I thought that some grad. schools require Bs to pass, not Cs.

Also, the analogy holds either way! A D is 60- 69.9% (pretty bad) whether it is "passing" or not! Even if it is "passing" at some places, you can bet that "barely satisfactory" or some similar phrase is part of the official description of the mark.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-02-2009 at 06:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I taught in a graduate program at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, and students needed to get a 'B' to get credit for the class, there was no 'C' grade. It was the same when I attended the school as a grad student in the late 70's. I don't know about any other institution.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    35mm
    Confession - I was a college administrator for four years. At most undergraduate programs, a D is a passing grade FOR AN INDIVIDUAL COURSE, however most bachelor's degree PROGRAMS require an overall GPA of 2.0 (C) for graduation (sometimes higher), and also any course with prerequisites will require a C in the previous course (but usually you can take any given course up to three times and have at least a couple semesters of "probation"). It's amazing how much damage a single C, D or F can do to an otherwise great GPA.

Graduate school is much tighter. Generally a graduate program won't award a degree to a student with a cumulative GPA of less than 3.0 (B), and not more than one repeated course. At the graduate level, if you make a C in a course required for your program, you are on very thin ice, and you won't get more than a semester to bring your grades up.

I think it's safe to say that a "bargain" grade lens (from KEH or anywhere else) gets a C grade, and an "ugly" lens gets a D/F. Would I buy bargain gear like this? Maybe, but I doubt I'd use it on a job I was getting paid to complete.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My whole point was that bargain could be anywhere from "a notch above terrible", to "good enough:, to "pretty OK".
    2F/2F

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin