Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,234   Posts: 1,532,936   Online: 1001

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 172122232425262728293031323337 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

KEH

I'm not sure how many of you buy from KEH, but I really am amazed by them. I just bought a camera body from the, it arrived today. It was one of their "Bargain" items. This is the 5th time I have bought a "bargain" item from them and it is the 5th time I have received an item that would probably have been graded "excellent" by anyone else. I have no connection to KEH, just wanted to share that, at least as far as vintage items go, KEH is definitely trusted and preferred over eBay. In fact, the body that I just bought from KEH was a "replacement" for one I bought on eBay a few months ago. I guess there is something to be said for descriptions being done by people that know what a camera is supposed to do! Anyway, that's it. My little slice of good camera mojo for the week.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How do their bargain lenses qualify though? Their description says it will have minor scratches ect, but does not say that it wont have fungus ect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krzys View Post
    How do their bargain lenses qualify though? Their description says it will have minor scratches ect, but does not say that it wont have fungus ect.
    With their BGN stuff, it really depends. I think there are a lot of judgment calls being made on BGN items. They range anywhere from "better than ugly" to "right below excellent". That is a huge range. IMO, something like "poor, fair, good, excellent, and outstanding" make more sense than their current grading system, which has such variance in the bargain category. As it is now, BGN encompasses what would be both the "fair" and "good" categories this way.

I have generally been unhappy with my BGN purchases from them, and very pleased with EX and EX+.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-20-2009 at 09:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are lots of threads on this subject in the archives. The general consensus is that KEH is very conservative in their ratings.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm
    I've only bought stuff from EX to LN condition from KEH, and have been pleasantly surprised several times with what I've gotten. I think the sweet spot for bargains is probably around the EX-/EX range, but I'm kind of fussy and like my gear to look "good", and EX+/LN-/LN on the KEH scale has worked for me. I would be extremely unhappy if the world didn't have a KEH available, because I hate going the e**Y route. A friend of mine bought a BGN 20mm Nikkor lens from KEH, and I thought it looked very good. It's one of my friend's favorite lenses now. There have been stories of unhappy KEH customers, but I think the vast majority are pleased they bought their gear there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have purchased lots of stuff in bargain condition. Most have been far better than what I would have had any right to expect. Twice, once with a Pentax lens and once with an RB67 body for a backup, did I get something that was really as described. I also bought a Minolta flashmeter in Ugly and I am still using it. I would go as excellent from most folks on eBay and could not possibly be worse than bargain according to what I understand the KEH ratings to mean.

Krzys, I understand that bargain lenses are supposed to be optically without any fungus, but I agree that this is not clearly indicated in their grading description. Based on the fact that they do mention fungus and haze on their description of Ugly, I have decided that means no fungus for bargain. I could be wrong. Perhaps a call for clarification would be in order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH has very conservative ratings. I have only had one problem, an EX filter had a scratch on it. I returned it while they sent a replacement simultaneously as I was sending the old one back.

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 07-21-2009 at 12:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also had bought bargain stuff from KEH that were in great shape.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've bought a few bgn items, all have been fine and working. The hasselblad kit was all bargain except for the waistlevel fnder (ln). My only issue was that the insert was dented in one spot but did not affect its operation or performace at all. I was happy then and i'm still happy now. I'll keep going back to them for as long as I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not been that lucky with my one and only KEH purchase. The description was better than actual condition and I had to return it. International shipping was not refunded even though it clearly had been KEH's fault.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin