Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,679   Online: 882

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Mark, David was not told to f&^k-off, that was how he internalized his perception of KEH's website. If a person wishes to twist things around to suit their own rational for not dealing with someone that is their business.
    I should let David speak for himself :rolleyes: but I don't think he is saying that either. He is saying other companies he has dealt with have given him that attitude instead of dealing with a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post

(Interesting to read jd's account of more stuff than is listed on their website. I'll try calling the store next time I don't see what I'm looking for on line.)
    John,
    You may have misunderstood me or I may have misspoke. I didn't mean to say that their site may not represent what they have in inventory. Although, I've heard the website is not a complete listing and it seems to me when I bought a mamiya 6 body off of them they had more than the site listed.
    Last edited by jd callow; 03-21-2008 at 12:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've never had a problem. And 4 out of 5 times I was surprised at the condition and felt that the bargain equipment was truly a bargain. Plus they were easily reachable via email and offered a phone number 'just in case' if I needed it. Very good to work with.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    ...the message from its website for me is "Here's a camera, it's cheap, so don't be fussy, just give me your money and f*** off."
    Like everyone else who has actually dealt with them and has posted so far I have have had a uniformly good experience on value and service from KEH.
    Never once been told to f*** off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ya, KEH is great to buy from...but don't plan on getting much from them if trading up! The days of a 20-30% markup is over. They're going for 80-90% profit.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Mark, David was not told to f&^k-off, that was how he internalized his perception of KEH's website. If a person wishes to twist things around to suit their own rational for not dealing with someone that is their business.

I have dealt with KEH for a number of years and have nothing but praise for them. If I am interested in an item I call and we go over the condition of several examples of the product and I make my decision based on that.

I've always bought bargain and have always been extremely happy with the merchandise. I've basically given up on eBay as I can usually get it for the same price + or - from KEH.

I can only speak for myself, but my experience with KEH has been stellar.
    I know what he was saying, I guess I did not communicate it well. Damned internet. He was saying that customer service at some places makes you feel that way.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    Overall I have had good experience with KEH over the years. Almost always, their cosmetic rating is conservative. But several items I have bought have definitely been in need of a CLA, or immediate replacement of mirror foam. I have concluded that is fine with me—as I have come to factor in a CLA, and feel that a fine camera deserves it.

In my experience, the salesman will not preview the equipment before sending it out. If there is a disagreement over cosmetic condition, the buyer gets a hassle free, prompt refund, despite the fact that their website warns of refunds taking up to two billing cycles. The price to inspect the equipment is postage two ways. If there is an undisclosed clear mechanical problem, they will take the item back and pay the postage.

But once I ordered an OM-1n in EX or EX+ condition from them. It was a beauty, but upon the first firing the mirror stuck to the foam cushion, which was gummy. KEH gladly took the camera back, did not offer to simply replace the foam, and I paid postage.

With tempered expectations in mind, I view KEH as a good value for the buyer. I have never been tempted by their offers to sell to them, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had two minor problems with KEH (a lens with a seized diaphragm and a Nikon F4 that ate batteries), but overall I am very happy with KEH. The prices are fair, shipping is fast, and the gear is always as expected or better. I got a 220 back for my Bronica SQ-AI recently that was EX+ rated; it was indistinguishable from new. (In fact it had a Bronica film spool in it.)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I know what he was saying, I guess I did not communicate it well. Damned internet. He was saying that customer service at some places makes you feel that way.
    Yes, this summarizes quite well what I was saying. I fully recognize that if KEH manages to stay in business, it must be doing something right, and this is confirmed by the responses here, all from satisfied customers, albeit many of whom have had to return goods (benefiting from the compay's generous return policy). What I was also saying was that:
    1) I personally would rather buy equipment which has been checked, even if it costs more
    2) Given the fact that goods may need to be returned to KEH quite often, I feel it does not make economic sense for me in the UK to buy from this company.

I can see that it does make sense for others, primarily, it seems, people who live in the US and don't like e-bay. I'm the other way round on both counts! I would only observe that APUGers are routinely scathing about e-bay sellers who say "I don't know much about cameras but this one looks OK" and as far as I can see, KEH doesn't tell me much more than this either. For me, and I emphasize I speak only for myself, and am not criticizing others for what they do, my general preference is to buy on e-bay, making sure that I pay trade price (the price that a full-service dealer would buy in for). In the case of a typical Leica, for example, this might mean that I pay £200 - £225 for a camera that the dealer would sell for £450 to £500. I buy only cameras which are definitely described as working, without physical damage (dents, etc.) and with totally clean glass (I have learned the hard way that having scratched moldy lenses overhauled is not cost effective). Almost always, unless the camera is question is described as recently CLA'd, I send it to Newton Ellis in Liverpool for servicing.

This way, I end up paying mid-way between e-bay and retail prices for a camera which has been fully serviced and will be reliable for quite a while, and is in fact much better than the typical camera from a dealer's shelf. In the case of lenses, I only buy specimens described as totally clean - if they're not, they go back. I have upset quite a few sellers in my time by telling them to inspect their lenses with a torch ("How CAN anyone be so fussy?" they obviously think) and have done so without a qualm. My lifestyle and workload are such that I very much begrudge any time spent testing cameras, diagnosing faults and making returns, no matter how accommodating sellers may be.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have made many purchases from KEH and always came away pleased.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin