Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,635   Online: 873

Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 202425262728293031323334353640 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, KEH's only procedure for returning goods is to return the article for a refund (which is provided once the item is received). They will let you buy a replacement, charging for the item but not shipping, but the charge is made upon ordering. Since KEH doesn't know for certain that I posted the return item, I think this is reasonable.

I'm not sure if this is the original poster's issue, but this has been my experience.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always had good results from KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    As far as I know, KEH's only procedure for returning goods is to return the article for a refund (which is provided once the item is received). They will let you buy a replacement, charging for the item but not shipping, but the charge is made upon ordering. Since KEH doesn't know for certain that I posted the return item, I think this is reasonable.

I'm not sure if this is the original poster's issue, but this has been my experience.
    Not true. Look at the back of any invoice you receive from them.

There are sections for "Return for Repair" and "Return for Exchange".

Anyhow, my own tale of woe continues...

This time I finally wised up. Instead of buying an "outfit", I purchased the Bronica SQ-Ai system items as separate pieces. I highly recommend this practice because:

a) Buying an outfit saves you no money at all. Believe me, if you compose the outift from separate items in equivalent condition it will cost EXACTLY the same

b) If there's a problem that is clearly attributable to a single item in the outfit - you can return it independently of the others (Mind you, this isn't always evident in a modular MF kit. A metering problem, for example, could be a problem with the body, the metering prism, or the film back).

Anyhow, the latest SQ-Ai body came with a focusing screen with some scratches. That, in theory, is ok because I knew I was purchasing BGN-grade equipment. The problem was that one of these wasn't a scratch...it was an attempt by the former owner to "fill in" a chip using a clear epoxy. That caused terrible scintillating reflections when focusing in a brightly-lit scene and those reflections distorted the meter reading by multiple stops.

So I'm returning the SQ-Ai body (and just the body) to exchange it for an EXC-grade body. KEH will pay for both the cost of shipping the item back and shipping the replacment body to me.

But I have to admit with SIX straight returned items, I'm feeling just a bit unlucky...
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But I have to admit with SIX straight returned items, I'm feeling just a bit unlucky...
    I've done about 6-7 transactions with KEH in the last couple of years. Never had a problem with the any of the cameras or lenses (mostly "bargain" rated). There seams to be some bad luck in your case.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I have only had one return in many purchases, but that may be because I usually buy EX or EX+

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I have only had one return in many purchases, but that may be because I usually buy EX or EX+

Steve
    It might. In fact, I elected to go with an EX-grade SQ-Ai body for my exchange. My time (and the lost shooting opportunities) became worth more than the $45 price difference.

The problem with many MF outfits is that you really can't functionally assess them until everything is assembled and you've put a roll of film in them. Mind you, I'm not talking about actually *developing* that roll to assess the results - simply that there are so many interlocks in a modern MF kit that it is essentially a paperweight until everything is together w/ a film roll. You can't test a shutter, metering prism, or film transport, otherwise.

That, understandably, isn't feasible for KEH to do what with MF prices having fallen to the point that they have.
    Last edited by aldevo; 08-13-2009 at 10:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by bibowj View Post
    Ive just ...ordered some used stuff from Adorama that was rated E and above, and we will see. I can get stuff from them in 5 days and so far the service has been perfect.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the service from Adorama Camera, which is very much appreciated.

If the used items you have ordered from Adorama are unsuitable, you may return them within 14 days of receipt for an exchange or refund.
    You are also covered for 90 days from receipt of an item, to return it for repair if required.

If you ever have any kind of query or concern regarding an order from Adorama Camera - or AdoramaPix - please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make it SEVEN straight returned items...

I replaced the BGN-grade SQ-Ai with an EX-grade one. This one proved to be the worst of all...

This body has an issue with the mirror being permanently locked-up. The mirror lock-up switch is cracked along its outer peripherary and the previous owner applied some clear epoxy to it...presumably so it would pass a KEH inspection.

Sadly, it did.

Because of this condition the shutter doesn't cock. That's the kiss of death for an SQ-Ai because if the shutter does not cock properly - the film back and lens cannot be removed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naeroscatu View Post
    I've done about 6-7 transactions with KEH in the last couple of years. Never had a problem with the any of the cameras or lenses (mostly "bargain" rated). There seams to be some bad luck in your case.
    Sadly, it continues. The "EX" grade SQ-Ai body had its mirror permanently locked up...which means that it is locked in a permanent embrace with the PS lens and film back which were in perfect working order and innocent victims

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    in my eyes the quotes they give for purchasing equipment and high markup from this quote should mean they are looking over equipment much more carefully. However my experience with them has been fairly neutral. I have bought an UG lens from them and it was exactly that but it worked for a little bit and the price was right. I plan on using them again in the future. I hope I don't have any problems.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin