Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,616   Posts: 1,647,677   Online: 986

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2630313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree on all counts. Having had some bad IT departments at companies over the last decade, I realize it's not the store's fault, per se.

They need a better IT group. This happened the last time they updated their website too. Unfortunately, unless you're in the IT industry, it's tough to find good IT people who really know what they're doing. In my experience, most talk a good game, but don't know what the h#ll they're doing.

Being a concrete and steel engineer and not a computer guy, I would think you'd create a mirrored test site to work out the bugs before "going live".

It tarnishes their reputation to many, but hopefully most folks realize they're still, by far, one of the better places to buy from.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in IT. While I agree it's not the store's fault, the problem KEH is having is one of those things that happens only when the system is deployed in real-time use. They could have tested in "conference room pilot" with 10 or so users and it probably worked just fine. Situations can be different when hundreds of users are viewing page after page making requests in hundreds or thousands a minute. I am guessing each page is rendered in real-time via JSP in the background - and that's overloaded to a point it can time out.

With that said, I hope the issue get resolved soon. It's so annoying that I'm on the other side of the Ethernet cable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I'm in IT. While I agree it's not the store's fault, the problem KEH is having is one of those things that happens only when the system is deployed in real-time use. They could have tested in "conference room pilot" with 10 or so users and it probably worked just fine. Situations can be different when hundreds of users are viewing page after page making requests in hundreds or thousands a minute. I am guessing each page is rendered in real-time via JSP in the background - and that's overloaded to a point it can time out.

With that said, I hope the issue get resolved soon. It's so annoying that I'm on the other side of the Ethernet cable.
    They are not using JSP-- obviously ASP.NET from the .ASPX extension. That opens up the blame Microsoft for the slowness game, but clearly it is a design problem with the website. Maybe the database is slow- maybe the code is flawed who knows. So many things can go wrong in IT it's hard to take a guess what it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It'd NOT be funny though.... in the end, they find the problem to be a faulty network cable giving intermittent network errors....

I've seen THAT, too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would strongly suggest that, until they get their site working right, you place any orders over the phone. I ordered a camera body on the web site last Monday, and when I called on Wednesday to check on my order, they said there was no record of it. So I placed a new order over the phone and was assured that the first order would be canceled if it ever re-emerged. Friday, I got two shipping notifications. This morning, two charges appeared on my credit card. So it looks like I'm going to have to bounce a package back to them and wait for a refund.

Also, they don't seem to reply to email.

KEH are basically an honest bunch of people and I understand that the glitches are probably due to a flaky contractor, but it is irritating to have to take time out of my day to wait on hold to deal with what should be a simple online order.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well after seeing all the positive feedback regarding KEH i was looking at buying some stuff from them, problem is it would be quicker for me to take a flight to the store. Maybe best to wait a couple of months untill sorted?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently called KEH because I needed some clarifications on some items. To my surprise I received very short and surprisingly rude response form one of the sales person. I'd imagine the problem with web is causing much grief and increased workload. I plan to order from them as my experience previous to this call has been vastly positive; however, I do plan to wait until the holiday season is over and web issues resolved.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whatever.... but KEH is still the best. If you want something for the next short while... call on the phone and ask for Dan Orchard and he will help you right out... things done by phone don't go thru the computer... those poor guys are on it 24/7.... let's give 'em a break here...
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ordered about a week ago and couldn't place the order online so I called direct. I asked if my item was in stock-yes, it was-and placed the order while commenting about the website problems I encountered. Salesman apologized, waived the shipping charge and I received the item a couple of days ago.

They seem to be doing fine in the 'work around' mode.

-F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ordered a Luna Pro SBC the other day without difficulty and it was delivered today, one day earlier than anticipated, so in my case it appears that things worked out. (Now, if only I had been home to pay the international brokerage fees, I would have it in my damp, girlish hands... ) I say "appears" because it wasn't until I was in the final stages of checkout that I realized that the "secure content" icon (the little padlock thingy) had a red exclamation mark and displayed the message, "Contains unauthenticated content". Having twice been the victim of compromised identity on the internet, I find this a little concerning. I am hoping that this does not mean I will find untold spurious charges on my new chip-and-pin Visa.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin