Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,890   Online: 821

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3135363738394041424344 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not believe that KEH formally shutter tests their cameras before selling them. They look at the cosmetics and may fire the shutter at one or more speeds.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    With regard to 35mm SLRs, I have been told by their customer service people that they grade entirely on cosmetics. That the volume they deal in does not generally allow them to do much if any mechanical / functional testing of 35mm SLR bodies at all. This has been the source of my frustration with them. They advertise a body in EX condition. When I get it, yeah, it looks great but something is not working and I get really unhappy.

It should be noted that different people grade different things so, for example, large format lenses generally get graded by a different people than those who grade 35mm gear. So, standards and testing levels may differ for the various classes of gear.
    Last edited by BradS; 08-21-2011 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone ever enquired what KEH's position would be if you asked them about buying an item and having it CLA'd before they send it to you?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Has anyone ever enquired what KEH's position would be if you asked them about buying an item and having it CLA'd before they send it to you?
    No, but I have asked them about what grade I can expect to simply "work" out of the box, and their answer was that anything graded BGN (bargain) would be refunded or exchanged if it failed to work. UG (ugly) wasn't guaranteed to work, but they'll negotiate unless it is stated "AS IS" in the listing.

They do want happy customers.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've been dealing with KEH for about 10 years, both buying and selling.

It's been mostly good experiences, but I did have a nightmare once where they charged my credit card but the equipment didn't arrive. When I called to question them they said they had inadvertently sold the equipment to another buyer. They shipped a replacement for me and it was the wrong item. I returned it and finally got the correct item, but it took about two months to clear almost everything up, as I never did get a credit for the two extra shipping charges (The shipment they didn't send and the return). I was too happy to finally have the lens to worry about it.

Despite all that, I continued doing business with them and haven't had a problem since.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They are simply the best for used equipment, bar none
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I do not believe that KEH formally shutter tests their cameras before selling them. They look at the cosmetics and may fire the shutter at one or more speeds.
    They don't formally test them. I've seen them determine if the equipment is functional by observing the shutter at a few different speeds and work the diaphragm on lenses, stuff like that.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH? A customer of some 10 year's standing, I do not buy used equipment anywhere else. My list of purchases to date: 2- 500c/m bodies, 500el/x body, 50mm CFT*, 100mm CFT*, 120mmCFT* Makro, 180mm CFT*, 4-A12 backs, assorted B60 filters, 1-F2A body, 1-F2AS body, 18mm f/3.5 AIS lens, 28mm f/2 AIS lens 135mm f/2 AIS lens, 300mm f/2.8 AIS lens, 400mm f3.5 AIS lens as well as a huge assortment of filters, cables, straps, and misc. stuff including trippds, flashes and several Halliburton cases. My only "complaint": after 4 years of heavy use, the first of two Blad bodies I purchased required a $300.00 CLA (boo, hoo, hoo - guess I will be dumpster-diving for my next meal!) Oh, and one other concern: Canadian duties on some of the stuff gets a little stupid, however...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Oh, and one other concern: Canadian duties on some of the stuff gets a little stupid, however...
    One reason I have not seriously considered KEH was that they seem to perfer to use UPS as a shipper. Many times I have received items by UPS with a extra 50 dollar charge for "brokerage" this for filling a one page form and advancing the duty/GST/HST.

I now simply avoid receiving anything from teh USA via UPS.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just received a used FM from them last week, it's so clean it looks like it just came out of the box

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin