Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,775   Posts: 1,516,671   Online: 1145

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    David,
    What are we to get over? That you will have the last word, that we are expected to ignore the holes in your logic? To be honest David your whole line of argument is insulting. You insinuate that we who shop KEH lack your sophistication, you take the most slanted view of the situation and then use it to take swipes at all things not bebbington. I apologize for being rude, but you need to get over your self. It isn't your opinion that motivates my responce.
    KEH appeals to you as a supplier, it doesn't appeal to me. What the HELL else is there to say?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That wasn't what you were saying nor was it what we or at least I was commenting on, but I'm more than willing to let the subject die and have this thread return to the regularly scheduled KEH Lovefest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just for information - this
    http://www.fotofixuk.co.uk/leicam.html
    is an example of a company which is selling second-hand cameras, including Leicas, on the web and through its presentation inspires a little more confidence in me, cynical old bastard that I am, than you-know-who.

Regards to all!

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    is an example of a company which is selling second-hand cameras, including Leicas, on the web and through its presentation inspires a little more confidence in me, cynical old bastard that I am, than you-know-who.
    A very little confidence IMHO. Half their website doesn't work and they can't even be bothered to put up dummy pages such as under construction etc. Looks to me like someone working out of their garage. BTW do you have some connection with these people?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post

Regards to all!

David
    You are kidding right? As was pointed out most of their pages are dead links, but they say, themselves, that keeping their website up is not very important to them, since their web designer is on more important projects. No delivery details, no rating scale or even an explanation of what their "Near Mint" condition might possibly mean.

Clearly they have a very low opinion of their web business.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    A very little confidence IMHO. Half their website doesn't work and they can't even be bothered to put up dummy pages such as under construction etc. Looks to me like someone working out of their garage. BTW do you have some connection with these people?
    I have no financial interest in any part of the photographic trade and do not know these people at all. All I can say is that a description such as the following:
    Camera has been fully checked and tested, therefore is sold fully working. Shutter speeds are working correctly. Shutter blinds are in excellent shape. Rangefinder shows very good contrast. Viewfinder is clear. Lens optics are clear.
    Overall, camera is nice clean condition, [/I]
    which as I explained is legally binding in the UK, and accompanied by four clear photographs, would be more than good enough for me to part with my money if I were looking for another Leica.

Yes, the website is under construction, yes, it's obviously a small company. no, this does not bother me at all. No, there are no "delivery details" either - at a wild guess, I imagine the company would use the Royal Mail (British post office) or mayve another courier, after first encasing the camera in bubble wrap and a box - quite possibly, they would use Scotch tape to secure the packaging. Just how many "delivery details" do you need? However, for the doubters among you, the choice is clear - stick with KEH!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Interesting" thread. I for one appreciate comments made by posters here regarding reputable dealers. I have never dealt with KEH. I have no opinion of them. Based on the general consensus of posters here, I would have no hesitation in dealing with them in the future. We should count our blessings that most of us can choose which dealer and in which country we wish to shop. There are many countries in the world where those choices are not available.

A few years ago, I asked on this site for a suggestion regarding a reputable dealer in Canada for a full-through CLA for my Rolleiflex. I chose a recommended dealer and received excellent service at a reasonable price. Thanks folks.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thought I'd chime in here. I just yesterday got a non-metered prism from KEH along with a 100mm lens for my Bronica GS-1. Both were listed in BGN condition, but I can't figure out why. They're both in gorgeous shape with only the most minor of scuffs on either of them. I'll quite happily buy from them again.

Images
    I am still awaiting credit for the return of the EX Leica that had a stiff wind, loose covering on the front of the camera, and overlapping frames due to a worn wind mechanism, this even though I have been told several times, "It has been taken care of." When items I have bought from KEH arrived in fine condition, the entire transaction was so smooth, and shipping was fast and packing excellent.

But I do have a much more tempered view of the company as a "machine" after dealing with them by phone trying to get this return processed, with verification. I am sure it will work out fine in the end, but it is apparently more of a priority to me, as I have already paid my credit card bill, than it has been for them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've bought a number of items from KEH in the past and like most customers have found their grading system to be quite conservative and their prices reasonable. I recommend them highly.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin