Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,503   Online: 1119

Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So brassing would not affect the mechanical condition of the camera?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought BGN:

Pentax M42 SMC lenses: badassly clean and smooth. real jewels that I actually sold for the same amount later when I had to.

Nikon FM2n: lots of scratch on the top plate, film door that is a bit temperamental to close (just a bit), and 1/4000s shutter speed about half a stop slow. Nevertheless it has never choked.

Nikon AI lenses: nothing wrong here, they just feel like they've been used, but the glass is pristine and the results are up to par.

Rolleiflex T: the m******r just broke in my hands, and I am returning it.

Morality of the story: anything goes. That's why they have a return policy that they honour.

This time I'm buying a Mamiya C330 with 105mm DS in EX condition. For small items, I think BGN grade is a good option. But for bigger investments, I decided to stick to EX from now on. Certain cameras are more temperamental than others--the Rollei T I got was at least 40 years old, so something was bound to happen to it at some point.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm getting a F5. Is it worth to stick with EX?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post

So brassing would not affect the mechanical condition of the camera?

I'm getting a F5. Is it worth to stick with EX?
    Brassing should not affect the mechanical condition, but there is always the possibility that it is an indication of rough use along the way.

As to whether you should hold out for EX, you will find as many opinions as rasins in a box of bran. My opinion is to take the BGN body and put your savings into the best glass you can afford.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Toffle; 05-21-2008 at 07:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you're concerned about bargain condition, then I would spend another $150 for the one that's in better physical condition. And unlike eBay, you have some recourse should the camera turn out to be faulty.

Shooter
    Large Format
    All of the Bargain gear I've bought from KEH has functioned perfectly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing to bear in mind with the return policy is this: you live in Canada like I do, so you have two shipping options. Either the very expensive (but super-fast) UPS Express, which is the only option to give you a tracking number, or the FedEx Letter Parcel or whatever it's called. The latter means that KEH give the package to FedEx, and at the border, FedEx transfers it to CanadaPost regular parcel service, i.e. no tracking number, and five weeks at least for delivery.

I'm in the process of finding out what an exchange means in terms of shipping fees. When the Rollei shipped to me, it cost 76$ shipping, plus 60$ of duty. Now I have to return it, so it's going to be at least an extra $30+ depending on how I ship it back. The Mamiya kit will have to be shipped as well, and I'm not letting Canada Post delay again a 500$ package for me for a month.

So I've talked with KEH and asked them to "meet me midway" and help me cover the shipping for the exchange. They were receptive, and we'll see how it evens out.

Bottom line: that 150$ you are saving on BGN product is not a saving if you have to exchange the camera.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How expensive would UPS express be to ontario?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    I gotta say, I've had the same problem with Nikon equipment from them. Bought an N60. Worked in only manual. Sent it back and it took forever to get the refund. That one was EX. On the other hand, I got a Canon F-1 (old) in BG condition, and well, it's a tank. Everything works perfectly including the meter. I bought my first DSLR from them too, way back, a Canon 10D. The condition was EX+ but the battery was nearly dead. I mentioned that to them and they sent me a free new battery.

Honestly though, they don't test the cameras well - if at all - so I'd go eBay and ask the seller detailed questions if you want a "good one" from the get go. eBay will be cheaper too, in most cases.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    How expensive would UPS express be to ontario?
    Pretty similar to Montreal, I would suspect. Check UPS.com for a Georgia to Ontario package transit.

My APUG Portfolio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin