Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,652   Online: 904

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Fungus on mirror: preventing spread to clean lenses

I have a clean 80mm f1.9 on the way for my Mamiya 645. The only concern is that when I purchased the body a week ago there was some small fungus growth on the mirror. I gently cleaned what I could see off and probably added some scratches in the process (In my opinion a fair trade off). I am going to leave the body in the sun for two days then store my equipment in a dry box with silica gel packs.

Are there any more preventions I can take to make sure my new lens stays fungus free?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have a similar situation with a lens I bought knowing it had a small amount of fungus on it. I took it apart, cleaned it gently with lens cleaner--which had a small amount of isoproyl and vinegar added. I put the lens inside a baggie with dessicant and also put it in the sun for an afternoon. I keep it in its own baggie with its own dessicant inside a plastic container so it will stay dry and not contaminate any other equipment. I plan on checking it every so often, between times when I'm actually using it, to see if the fungus is coming back. I guess this is similar to what you have done except for the alcohol+vinegar. My understanding is that fungal spores are everywhere but fungus needs moisture to grow so keeping things dry and in a low-humidity environment will prevent its growth.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How long must the fungus sit in the sun for it to die off? Is there any information on this?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would be more concerned having the foam rubbers, rubber gaskets, and lubricants deteriorate if you were to leave the entire body in the sun. UV rays tend to deteriorate things etc...
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I haven't seen any good info on this (i.e. how long to leave it in the sun or in UV). In fact, there are those who say UV and sunlight don't help at all. Seeing that your mirror is the problem surface I would rely on flooding it with alcohol and vinegar (use a Q-Tip to apply the sol'n) and very gently drying it with lens tissue (or just drain the sol'n into the tip of the tissue). Protect the area around the mirror with lint-free tissue or lens cloth while washing. I know there are those who will say this kind of sol'n is too strong for lens coatings and mirrors but I think it is worth the risk. In my situation the fungus was in the periphery not the center and it had not etched the lens. In your case you could always replace the mirror if all else fails.
    Last edited by rternbach; 07-21-2009 at 09:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suppose that you could send it to Mamiya to replace the mirror and have a CLA done for fungus.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am sorry but I think that your problem is more frequent than we think.

http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/
    <°Aldo><

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since it is a mirror, I think I'd try a dilute mixture of Clorox 1:25...use a cotton swab or q-tip.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful, it is probably a first surface mirror.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    Since it is a mirror, I think I'd try a dilute mixture of Clorox 1:25...use a cotton swab or q-tip.

Mike
    Makes sense to me.
    "Get over it."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin