Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,118   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Countdown Timer Needed

I've recently started experimenting taking really long exposures, on the order of 30 minutes or so. Can someone recommend a countdown timer? Preferably one that hangs on a lanyard. Ideally, it'll keep counting after the time is up, and while it beeps when time is up it won't keep beeping. It should be easy to set but not easy to inadvertently change.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go to Walmart and pick up a $10.00 digital meat thermometer. It will give you good temp readings down to 32°, sound an alarm when the chemistry you pulled out of the fridge reaches your start temperature, and it will, of course, sound an incessant alarm when the count down timer reaches zero. It will also tell you how long past the stop time it took for you to cancel the alarm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Thomas,

I do have a digital thermometer/count down time in the kitchen. It's too big and easily resettable for me to want to use it as a count down timer in the field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you're talking 10+ minutes why not just use an alarm clock? Travel ones are pretty small - i'm not sure i've ever seen one with a lanyard though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy my small digital timers at the Dollar Tree(everything for a buck) they can be set to count down in minutes and seconds and have an audible beep. They are only about 1 by 2 inches in size by about .25" thick. I'm sure you could attach one to a lanyard.
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine's not on a lanyard, but I use my cell phone sometimes. Will count either up or down.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think most mobile phones have a timer, I have an all singing & dancing model it does everything basic (It's the MOST basic model available).

Never had to do a 30 minute exposure, longest so far has been 10 minutes, with no watch (don't own one), no phone, I just walked around talking to myself counting of the minutes, worked perfectly.

A watch is accurate enough, 30 seconds either way is irrelevant.
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I know. My cell does have an alarm feature, but it isn't that easy to set. A watch certainly would work, but at 30 minutes the odds of me being distracted by something bright and shiny are quite high.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.amazon.com/Polder-898-95-...8201042&sr=1-4

We have 3 of these at my house ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi David, That's what I was thinking about, but I've never seen one in person. Since you have three of them, they obviously work well for you. Do they keep counting after the timer goes off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin