Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,191   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Really powerful ND filter

I'm looking to get a really powerful ND filter ie one darker than ND8, for taking several second exposures during the day, I haven't much money can anybody give me any recommendations, 49mm or Cokin A will do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The darkest Kodak Wratten ND96 filter is an ND4 which transmits: .01% , filter factor is 10,000 , or a 13 1/3 increase in stops. Some other manufacturers use an ND rating which is not the same. Try a welding supply firm. They have glass filters and may also have plastic which you could cut.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've heard that by using 2 Polarizers stacked (not sure if linear or circular are needed) you can align them so that virtually all light is blocked. That should be a pretty cheap solution, especially if you can use linear polarizers. I've never tried it, so good luck.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GeorgeDexter; 07-21-2009 at 10:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hoya make an ND 400 filter which reduces exposure by 9 stops (around 1/500th of the original intensity). I believe they have a 49 mm size.

Shooter
    35mm
    ND can also be stacked. Because stops work the way they do, you can get pretty dense, pretty fast.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Interesting note on the stacked polarizers. While they block visible light they may very well pass Infrared Light.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If you're skint and you've already got got a red, yellow or orange filter, ND filter and polariser you can stack them to get a pretty good descrease in transmission, so long as you don't mind the effects caused by the colour/polarising filters. I use this technique pretty often.
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In the UK www.formatt.co.uk would be a good bet. Although I am not sure where they will ship to or the costs involved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rosco (theatrical and cinematography filter gel vendor) sells a deigner swatch book for about $25 that has every concievable gel theater you can think of. In there are ND's - 1 stop, 2 stop, and I think 3 stop in the swatch book. b&h lists it in thier catalog, and I beileve Rosco also sells them directly.

The full gel sheets are about 20x30" and sell for under $10. Optically not always perfect, but usually close enough to confirm if you want to sink more money into a glass filter, and have loys left over to think up other uses for.

Glass welding filters are frequently green in tint as well as ND. They may be falling out of favour now, because active LCD filters have come onto the market, and if you are a welder, oh, it is so worth the money.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin