Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,323   Online: 959

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Recommend a Good Tripod?

Can anyone recommend a good but reasonably inexpensive tripod? I am looking to spend less than $200, but want a good tripod that is sturdy and somewhat lightweight? What is the best material in this price range?

It needs to be able to hold up a Nikon digital SLR, a Nikon FG, and a Mamiya m645 1000s.

All of those cameras won't have huge zoom lenses, so I'd say the heaviest product is the Mamiya, which is probably around 4-5 pounds.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out the Feisol carbon fiber tripods that are offered by an APUG sponsor (Really Big Cameras). The CT 3301 is $215, and is a steal at that price. I have that particular pod and love it. It's more than suitable for my P67 or Shen Hao 4x5, and will be just excellent for the cameras you mention. You just can't find a carbon fiber 'pod for that little that's as good as the Feisol.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use the Manfrotto 055 XDB tripod with 804RCII head.
    It holds any camera from a DSLR upto a Mamiya RB67 and is made of aluminium, sturdy and easy to carry and is within your budget.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Check out the Feisol carbon fiber tripods that are offered by an APUG sponsor (Really Big Cameras). The CT 3301 is $215, and is a steal at that price. I have that particular pod and love it. It's more than suitable for my P67 or Shen Hao 4x5, and will be just excellent for the cameras you mention. You just can't find a carbon fiber 'pod for that little that's as good as the Feisol.
    I wholeheartedly second that! I love mine.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The lighter the camera, the heavier the tripod should be. for 35mm and MF cameras I use the Manfrotto/Bogen 3021pro. I have the 3262QR ball head. I have to admit that I don't like the head much, as it has caused me to drop a couple of cameras. The tripod is great, though. It's NOT light weight.
    Vic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    I wholeheartedly second that! I love mine.
    So do I.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes,

I can.

Pick out what you like that Adorama sells.

Then look for that model in their eBay store.

If you snipe, you will get it for a song.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There is an interesting site for any question about "a good, stable tripod, that is not heavy but cheap". Forgive me, it's in german language:

http://www.stativfreak.de/

There you can see practically all tripods available. These guys try and compare all tripods, and they know a lot about this matter.

The all-time favourite is this one, made of canadian ash tree:

http://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/3...3032_01_jl.htm

Short translation (sorry for my style, I am not a native english speaker):
    "It looks heavier and bulkier than it is. It is the most stable tripod we ever used. It has less vibration and is even sturdier than our favourite Gitzo G1348. It is not the lightest and shortest tripod available, but it's worth taking it along. As the levelling facility is built in an extra ballhead is not necessary. We use it in conjunction with a Novoflex quick-release unit that includes a panorama plate....
    All things considered, at this price (around 200 Euro) there is nothing better in regards of vibration dampening and stability."

They make more than 150 different versions, all sizes, types. colours, and you often find them cheap in slightly used condition on auctions. They last a lifetime, buying a used one is quite a safe bet. I have a similar one without the built-in ball and use it with a Manfrotto gear head and, sometimes, with an ancient 2-way tilt head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given that a tripod is a rather big piece of equipment, and something unwieldy to pack and ship, I would recommend to stick to any decent brand your best and closest photo store has. It will allow you to get a feel of how the tripod handles as well.

That will usually be Manfrotto/Bogen, but there could be other brands as well. The 055 is perhaps the standard tripod for most things below LF, and with interchangeable heads, you gain versatility. Pieces are easy to get, easy to repair and reliable.

Stay away from anything that does not have interchangeable heads. Most of the time (the old Tiltalls being notable exceptions), it's flimsier tripods for the amateur that can't/won't shell the extra 100$ to get sturdy stuff that lasts a lifetime.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    a good old tiltall.
    about 100$ (or less!) and it will work just fine.
    i use mine with 35mm up to 4x5 ... bought in 1988 ...
    ( speed, graflex slr and formerly a graphic view II ) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin