Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,059   Online: 1183

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

iPhone applications for analogue photography?

Hi guys,

Due to an encounter with unemployment that will be starting for me in a week, I plan on writing some iPhone apps (I'm a software engineer, amongst other things) to pay for my lunch if nothing else. I know about the Massive Dev Chart app and use it myself; I'm posting this here to see if there are any other applications that you think would be useful.

I have a handful of ideas so far that I intend to implement over the next few weeks assuming I can get XCode sorted but more ideas are always welcome, particularly if it's for some burning need you have.

When pondering this, try to think if there's some annoying process that you'd like automated; don't worry too much about how to solve it (though obviously I will not be selling an iPhone app that implements an E-6 minilab... there are hardware limitations!), just give me a list of all the annoying crap that you'd prefer you didn't have to do and hopefully I can maybe make some of it easier.

Large-format people in particular, I'm looking at you: bellows correction factors, scheimpflug-rule angles, etc.

Also, what's the deal with announcing such apps on APUG? I don't want to spam and annoy people but I want to make people aware of my apps on the presumption that you'd find 'em valuable and send me lots filthy lucre.

thanks.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I'd like to see a logbook style app that lets me keep track of my exposures and other notes. As an added bonus, it would also record the location at which the photograph was taken using GPS.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep, that's in the pipeline. With note-taking, what sort of information do people want to record other than the shutter/aperture/ISO? Multiple light readings? Required zone-system adjustments for that frame?

A reciprocity calculator (free) and reciprocity-failure adjustments (paid for) as an upgrade from that will probably be my first app. I have a "killer feature" I'm going to add to that that's pretty specific to it being in a smartphone but I don't want to talk about it too much here as there are other reciprocity apps out there that could add it pretty quickly and I'd like to be first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wrote a reciprocity and exposure adjusting (bellows extension etc..) app for Windows Mobile that I planned on releasing for free. If anyone actually has Windows Mobile and is interested that is. Reciprocity correction is done using formulas I found around the web for common films.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you can get access to the raw data from the camera (before it hits the image processing pipeline) I would imagine you could make an app that would turn the iPhone (or any camera phone) into a killer light meter. One would simply need calibration data for the different CCD sensors in the different phones.

I am also a software engineer, and have played around with this a little bit, but I am pretty sure it's possible, one could make a fantastic multi-spot meter, and even an incident meter if one markets a little diffuser dome attachment to clip onto the lens.

I am confident that the hardware is there in order to exceed what any existing hand-held meter could do - wouldn't that be grand?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So much for keeping my killer feature under my hat: the plan is to support spot, average, matrix and flash metering, though the latter is hardest and may require an ND on the camera as their apertures don't get very small. Perhaps integrate it with some zone-system calculations to tell the photographer what contrast expansion/compression they might want to use. If it can be an incident meter (just need any old white plastic as long as its spectrum is OK) then the phone-cam can be a print analyser too but I suspect I'd make that a separate app.

Any non-metering suggestions? I've spent a fair bit of time planning that particular area of functionality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe not only for analog, but also for digital photos: to make statistic - how many photos in folder was shoot with this and this shutter speed, how many photos are with this iso value, how many photos with this aperture... It could be interesting to see what is your most use iso, f stop, shutter speed, etc... Is there a program that is able to calculate statistic from exif values?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    darkosaric: that is actually very easy to do with digital (or scanned film if you put EXIF in there) and there are many scripts out there which will pull the relevant info from directories of jpegs. I can PM you some Perl scripts I wrote that do just that if you like. If you have a DM-9 (data back for Dynax 9), then I can also PM you a script which will manufacture EXIF from the stored data and insert it into a directory full of scanned images.

Bit difficult with a folder full of negs though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    darkosaric: that is actually very easy to do with digital (or scanned film if you put EXIF in there) and there are many scripts out there which will pull the relevant info from directories of jpegs. I can PM you some Perl scripts I wrote that do just that if you like. If you have a DM-9 (data back for Dynax 9), then I can also PM you a script which will manufacture EXIF from the stored data and insert it into a directory full of scanned images.

Bit difficult with a folder full of negs though.
    Thanks. I would like a script my email is darkosaric {at} yahoo.com

I don't have DM-9 , so only first script.

thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Waht comes to mind... The meter would be great.
    long exposure timer, calculator for bracket sets of 3 and 5 in full, 1/2 and 1/3 stop increments, log book for (catalogue shots especially where the fields can be created so as to be more useable/out put to a db), colour meter, level, bellows factor calculator and dof calculator for multi formats.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin