Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,928   Online: 959

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good question...

To tell you the truth, I have a bunch of projects that are still "in the can". One of them was shot almost two years ago; over 200 pieces of 4x5 film, mostly T64, but some NPS and a few stray sheets of whatever I could muster up, including some 64T and Velvia. Another was shot in January and February. I have some rolls of film older than that that I need to develop one of these days, though they weren't a part of any particular project.

There is one project that I started, but aborted at an early stage because it was not working out in large format. I decided to start over in 35mm instead. 35mm was my original intention anyhow. I just tried to force it to fit the requirements of a large format class, because I couldn't come up with any other ideas at the time. I'll likely get around to that as soon as we get some crystal clear days here (pretty rare for us to have a perfectly clear day in L.A.)

My main ongoing projects are pretty general, and geared toward presentation in a book. I shoot a lot all the time. People in bars, on the street, etc. With that kind of stuff, I hope to get a single worthy pic out of each roll, on average, and be able to collect them some day into some sort of work that ties them all together in an appropriate way. I shoot mostly 35 for this, and have used digital as well (Canon 10D/50mm 1.2).

I also always shoot on road trips, which are my favorite activity. I will usually choose to focus on either landscapes/cityscapes on a trip, or on shooting people and "found" scenes and objects along the way. For the former, I usually use medium format color, and for the latter, I usually use black and white 35mm.

I will be making a book out of my pix from my 7,615-mile trip to the inauguration in January.

Here is the likely cover shot: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/...44a3698e_o.jpg

Titled "Acknowledged Reset", as the book may be.

It was actually shot before the trip, here in L.A., and on a digital camera, but it will fit perfectly with the book. I also like that is was shot on New Year's Day 2009.

If I find a better shot once I develop the 50 more rolls of HP5 that I have, I'll get rid of this sacrilegious one.

I also used to shoot news a lot...but not so much any more, at least not with publication in a news rag in mind. The last big events I shot were the Griffith Park fire and the Tea Fire, and I shot them how I felt like shooting them, without the aim to simply tell the story objectively. I simply used the situation as a unique landscape, I guess you'd say. I also shot the Motown Studio Museum in Detroit the night Michael Jackson died. I am attracted like a fly to situations where I can get crazy pix of emotive people and surreal situations and landscapes like fires.

Here are some Tea Fire pix (CVS scans): http://www.flickr.com/photos/8266378...7621746162333/
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-28-2009 at 07:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Flying Camera reminded me: I am also working on a commission. It was commissioned by someone who wanted to buy a very personal piece that was not for sale...so I am doing a similar thing, but specifically for her. She offered to buy it for a dollar and a kiss...I told her she could kiss my ass, and I would just make her one. Ha! It is an alt. process/gelatin silver distorted panorama from in front of the house where I grew up, made from 35mm contact prints, weathered, battered, stained, and covered in dried flowers that remind me of my childhood growing up in Los Angeles (bougainvillea and oleander).

So, I happened to be going through her home town of Omaha on the way to Detroit (also my grandmother's home town), and did the same for her childhood home. I shot on a mix of color and b/w, and was a little more sloppy with the overlapping of the tiles. I also made it more panoramic than mine (made the 360 five times instead of eight). We'll see what happens! I also need to track down lilac, lilly of the valley, and hyacinth flowers to finish it.

I like commissions a lot. They make me more focused and quick. This it the third one I have done after not being able to sell what was on the wall due to the fact that I made it for myself.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-28-2009 at 07:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have launched a project were I am planning to photograph people of my small village that has worked here for a “lifetime”.

I have photographed the priest that has worked in the community for more than 25 years.

The next one is a retired doctor. He was alone as a doctor here for many, many years. Serving people night and day, summer and winter.

I have also made an appointment with the former conductor of the school band. For a life time he was educating children to play their instruments, without other payment than the pleasure of teaching the children.

To me it’s a combination to have a challenging project and a way of honoring their work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well,

I have one project in my head - to find bunch of small used toys (something like 2cm and smaller metal soldiers or similar, but it must be old and used ), and make some kind of micro photos ... For start I both nikkor micro 55/3.5, now looking for toys ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd really love to do something on Great Barrier Island. Our aero club has property there and with summer coming up I'll be doing a lot more flying hopefully, and there is motivation for me to get up there and shoot the place. Last time I visited my photos were a disaster - Velvia on a bright overcast day with no filters = blown out mess. It's 5 hours by car + boat from here or 50 minutes by Cessna. Guess which one I'm taking :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This thread is great, I have found that I keep taking photos of things on there one, every photo I take looks lonely, so I don't really have a project but I think they could all be headed under the same title.

PS. Chris are you gonna walk then swan swan pedalo?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    looks like there is some fun and interesting stuff going on ... !
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-28-2009 at 07:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    looks like there is some fun and interesting stuff going on ... !

I agree! Most of my projects, if you can call them that, are subjects that I've come to realize that I enjoy shooting.

Interesting cemeteries
    Living history museums and the people that work there (having been one such person myself)
    The concept of wabi-sabi

I've also had many ideas for doing enviromental portraits of people over the years-- my extended family, the people from the tiny hamlet where I grew up in Manitoba, my international students that I teach, etc. The problem is I have never really taken these kinds of portraits before and am often stuck as to where or how to start. In some cases, geographic location is a huge obstacle.

My primary goal for this fall, once I get back to Canada, is to finallly create a dedicated portfolio of work that I can display, show others, enter competitions with, sell, etc... Although it's been something I've been wanting to do for some time, I've only realized the necessity of it once I figured out the ratio of negatives I have (thousands) to the number of prints i have (a few). People often ask to see my work and I have so few "final" prints that it's become a bit frustrating.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My next personal project I wish to get going is to take all those negatives I have and, now that I am finally enlarging this year, get some great prints of my own negs, find a way to scan them and rework my website with a 'Personal Work' section or some such.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have in the plans to do a project on the "hunting camps" here in Northcentral Pennsylvania. I've been photographing some during the last few years but it has been just while riding around & seeing a neat camp & stopping & just getting a photograph of it. Not really planning what I really want to photograph. In Potter County half of the homes here are hunting camps! I want to have website dedicated to just PA Hunting Camps...which would include for sale...framed prints, posters, cards, & possibly a book.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin