Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,118   Online: 1107

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Making a non-photo bag get along with cameras

My situation is this as follows. Simply put, I need to make the bag below work for photo stuff now and then when I need to be on a bicycle for long periods of time and also carry bike stuff like a patch kit, rain jacket, etc.

The bag: Chrome Warsaw

If it comes down to it in the end, I can just shove my shoulder bag inside, but I'd prefer to find a more elegant solution. I will be carrying:

• Mamiya 645 Pro with winder and prism
    • 80mm f/1.9 and 45mm f/2.8 lenses
    • Canon digital body
    • 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses
    • 2x 120 backs
    • Light meter
    • Memory cards
    • Compendium shade
    • A metric crapton of film

I have very, very little experience with the padded inserts and wraps available. Suggestions would be appreciated.

A few things to keep in mind:
    • I'll be on a bicycle
    • Yes, I know it would suck to crash with cameras in my bag, but I've been there, done that, etc
    • Racks/panniers on the bike are OUT
    • No chance of car transport for all practical purposes

EDIT: link added on the bag. whoops!
    Last edited by David R Munson; 08-01-2009 at 09:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might find a Crumpler photo insert that's pretty much a direct fit, since they are essentially messenger bags with photo inserts sold separately.

Domke inserts also come in a variety of convenient configurations and can be mixed and matched, so that's another possibility.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The main issue, I think, is finding something that would work well for a 645 with grip, prism, and lens mounted. Most of the inserts seem to be sized for 35mm stuff. I'll check into the Crumpler offerings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Chrome Metro. For the cameras that seem more fragile I wrap them in a sweater before putting them into the bag. That said, I always have a Holga and Olympus XA at the bottom of the bag. I guess you could wrap up the extra[not on cam] lenses and throw them in there, while just letting the cameras be in the bottom.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    <3 Chrome Metropolis. After 5 years, mine is starting to show some wear but I love it and use it daily. Need something bigger and better for heavier loads, though, hence the Warsaw.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    <3 Chrome Metropolis. After 5 years, mine is starting to show some wear but I love it and use it daily. Need something bigger and better for heavier loads, though, hence the Warsaw.
    Check out Freight baggage. My friend has the largest backpack from there and its absolutely huge! I also love Pac designs bags, but they're too expensive for now.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin