Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,818   Posts: 1,581,645   Online: 809

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: O. B. E.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Andy;

If history had not unfolded the way it did, the world would be a drastically different place. Probably a lot worse.

PE

In your opinion.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    In your opinion.
    Touchy aren't we now? Toss a grenade and then not like the response. Tsk. Tsk.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Touchy aren't we now? Toss a grenade and then not like the response. Tsk. Tsk.

Steve
    I post a light-hearted response, clearly indicated with a smiley, you and Ron have a sense of humour failure, and you reckon I'm the touchy one?!! It isn't me who is touchy. Seems like maybe I hit a nerve and some of you are longing for a return to the mother country. Just imagine it, you could be all grown up and civilised like us, Canada and Australia.
    Last edited by Andy K; 08-07-2009 at 01:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy;

I am not touchy about this at all. I think it deserves a laugh. Thats about it. But then what I said is true, nevertheless. You don't make major changes in history without severe side effects. I don't hear anyone weeping over the revolution and us winning our freedom from George III and his government! On the contrary.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy;

I am not touchy about this at all. I think it deserves a laugh. Thats about it. But then what I said is true, nevertheless. You don't make major changes in history without severe side effects. I don't hear anyone weeping over the revolution and us winning our freedom from George III and his government! On the contrary.

PE
    What you said is not true, it is only your opinion.

As for 'freedom, the colonies were not enslaved or imprisoned. They objected to being taxed without being represented in the British government. Dodging taxes is hardly akin to being under a tyrant's boot.
    History would have been VERY different if there had been no war of independence. The resulting pan-European wars would quite likely have not come out of that. The result would have been a more stable Europe, no Peninsular war, thus not leading on to the the Great War. No Great War would have meant no Versailles Treaty, no crippled Germany, and no seeding ground for the Nazi Party, no WW2 in Europe. Following that it is entirely possible there would have been no Cold war, no wars 'by proxy' (Korea and Vietnam)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now who is touchy Andy?

No one can prove anything about altered history unless one can view alternate universes. Since no one can, I think that the subject is moot. As for your analysis, it is great as an SF novel. I suggest you submit it to Harry Turtledove. Oh, wait, I think he has written about 25 novels on the same subject.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is historical fact that each of those periods in history were born out of the preceding period. Theorising is fine, so long as you stay within the boundaries of what is known. It is known that the pan-European wars of the Georgian era were a direct result of the war between britain and her colonies. As I said in my previous post if that war had not happened... so I agree with you, history WOULD have been very different. But in human terms not necessarily worse.

Besides, it was the OP who was getting all gushy about a Kodak employee being awarded the OBE, now, who was that OP..?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I was not gushy Andy. I was reporting an honor given to a very respected member of Kodak Harrow Research. I felt that the British members of APUG would be pleased to see his work properly recognized. I guess I was wrong to some extent. Sorry that you seem to think it was not "proper".

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I was not gushy Andy. I was reporting an honor given to a very respected member of Kodak Harrow Research. I felt that the British members of APUG would be pleased to see his work properly recognized. I guess I was wrong to some extent. Sorry that you seem to think it was not "proper".

PE
    Come off it Ron. You are old and smart enough not to put words into another's mouth. Nowhere did I say, or imply, that the honour was not deserved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Come off it Ron. You are old and smart enough not to put words into another's mouth. Nowhere did I say, or imply, that the honour was not deserved.
    Andy;

Who put words into who's mouth.

I said that you appear to have thought my post was improper, not the award. No where did I say that you thought the award was improper, merely that the posting was "gushy". It was not in my opinion, but then, lets leave this to others. I don't care anymore.

PE

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin