Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,685   Online: 944

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    That's hardly a first impression now, is it?
    I cannot speak for you or anyone else, but my first impressions are amazingly accurate. Every time, I went against a bad first impression, the result was that I soon came to learn to rely on the first impressions.

YMMV

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    an adams retouching desk, and small fortune of leads and holders,
    a working, vintage recording lathe ( bell sound systems prototype 33 1/3 rpm ), mic, "aux - stuff"
    and an armload of blank lacquer plates as well as
    a handful of refurbished, somewhat rare falling plate cameras ...

bolex 8mm and 16mm movie cameras and lenses ( and accessories)

a somewhat large balance on my credit card
    for about 6 months when i was broke and almost jobless ...

i have a feeling i will be selling a bunch of stuff soon ...

ez come ez go ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sold a bunch of recording equipment (all analogue of course) which I now sort of regret but I certainly use my cameras a lot more than that old stuff. Two reel-to-reel recorders, a couple of dynamic mics, a couple of condenser mics with a preamp, mixing board, additional 'demo' 4-track recorder, and some other miscellany.

I originally bought the equipment to help produce some recordings for friends of mine who are in music - I now use my camera equipment largely to promote them as well as other musicians and artists in my hometown.

So I guess it worked out.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    I remember reading a story years ago about a photojournalist who won a Pulitzer for his work. At a party held to celebrate, he openly admitted he wasn't happy because he gave up so much in the process of his work.
    Sounds like Nachtwey, but I don't think he ever won a PP. Anyways, to the OP, please don't cancel the date. The 'blad can wait dude.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    In part, my marriage. That's the worst sacrifice ever. It's two fold:

1. I lost an 8-year long marriage because I wanted STUFF. That's f-ing stupid.
    2. I gained nothing from it. All that gear is confusing, in my opinion. Instead of getting gear, challenge yourself and get rid of some instead. It will improve your results most likely, but probably also your life.

I've boiled my gear down to:
    Hasselblad 500 system with two lenses
    Pentax 35mm system with two lenses
    Holga
    Zero Image 6x6

That's it. I'll never need another camera, as I am of the opinion that we grow as we become more familiar with our gear, and true vision and seeing can happen when gear isn't even a consideration, when your camera is like an extension of your arms and your mind.

If you're capable of getting to that point with fourteen different cameras and a hundred lenses, then more power to you. To me it just makes it more difficult and confusing. Ask yourself, though, if your pictures are really that much better due to a different lens signature or bokeh or whatever.
    If the answer is an overwhelming 'yes', then perhaps GAS isn't a bad thing. For me it's 'no way'. So for me GAS was nothing but the biggest mistake of my life.

- Thomas
    Wow! That was well said. In fact, it might get me to the point of making a list of things to sell and then actually trimming down my equipment pile. I think my husband would appreciate it very much.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    You can have my ex. Heck, I will throw in six cans of dog food. My Bad.

Steve
    Is it the high maintenance food? Keep's em coats shiny.
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bibowj View Post

... Im sick I know...

You have identified the problem, so what do you want from us? Seriously, when you have drawn your last breath, they have put you in box and shoveled dirt in your face, do you want to be remembered for the great camera you once had or the the great life you shared with other human beings. Enjoy your date!

Oh, what sacrifices have I made for my camera gear. Kind of a reverse of the question, but I once sold it all to allow myself to continue to eat. I imagine many have done that. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Originally Posted by Sirius Glass
    You can have my ex. Heck, I will throw in six cans of dog food. My Bad.

Steve

Is it the high maintenance food? Keep's em coats shiny.
    :o
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin