Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,419   Online: 928

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

What sacrifices have you made for gear?

I just realized how much Im currently suffering from GAS... to the point that it might just be ruining my life....

I have a date this weekend coming with a very attractive Japanese girl who speaks amazing english, and Im going to cancel in order to pay for shipping on my new Hassy...

... Im sick I know...

So what are some of the sacrifices that youve made in order to further your collection?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Pay for the shipment, and take the pretty girl for romantic picnic in a scenic place.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bibowj View Post
    I just realized how much I'm currently suffering from GAS... to the point that it might just be ruining my life....

I have a date this weekend coming with a very attractive Japanese girl who speaks amazing English, and I'm going to cancel in order to pay for shipping on my new Hassy...
    What -- you've never heard of credit cards? At least hit somebody up for a loan -- just not me.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Rethink. You can just postpone the Hassy for some days, but cancelling a date is off limits. When the next date is scheduled you have a good model for any kind of hands-on experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be a man. Pay for the shipping and ask her to pay for the date. We are in the twenty-first century.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just money. No biggie. :o

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the Hassy as soon as possible! If the girl has any class she will understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait a sec ... I didn't really read your post. You're giving up a date with a cute chick for shipping? What are you stooopid?

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My sacrifices have involved selling musical equipment. It was mostly musical equipment that I inherited from my father, but never used. No reason for me to have 50 musical items when I make no money playing music, and don't even do it as a hobby as often as I should. So I have been slowly paring down the musical equipment and turning it in to photographic equipment. I have sold a Gibson ES-333, a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe flametop (traded for my initial Sinar kit), a mint condition Fender Rhodes 73 (not inherited; I had had it for nearly two decades), and I am currently selling a Marshall JCM-2000 TSL 122 combo and a Fender Super Reverb reissue to fund my Linhof Technika III.

The ones I am keeping for sure: 1927 Martin 00-28K2 (parlor sized, all koa wood, even the top, five made per year for about 10 years, I've never seen another one), 1968 Gibson SG (standard, two humbuckers, Vibrola, nylon saddles, the fastest-playing and most evil-sounding guitar I have ever played), 1968 Gibson ES-330 with factory metallic cherry paint that ended up fading the most amazing metallic copper color I've ever seen on an instrument, also with nylon saddles, Custom Shop Fender Esquire, tan with birdseye neck, and Custom Shop '58 Fender Stratocaster in sunburst with a birdseye neck. These guitars (plus all of my own) are too sweet and have too much sentimental value to me to ever sell them. Well, the Strat miiiight go some day, but not the Esquire.

Dates don't have to be expensive. In fact, the best parts of the best dates are almost totally free!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-09-2009 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have three expensive interests [hint: cordless bungie jumping is low cost] so sacrifice is a way of life.

2F/2F has it right: "Dates don't have to be expensive. In fact, the best parts of the best dates are almost totally free!" If a woman is not interested in you, the amount of money spent will not change the outcome. If a woman is interested in you, spending money is not necessary.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin