Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,944   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flatbed scanner

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a 2470 I'm willing to let loose.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Epson 4870 has ONE and only ONE advantage over the 3200.

And that is the fact that it has Digital ICE built in. Otherwise go with a 3200.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a note on print size with these scanners.

On my Epson 2450 I can scan a 6x6 medium format negative at 2400dpi. This translates into ~14.25 x 14.25" at 360dpi printing. If you need larger than that then go for the 3200, if not do what I did and save some money with the Epson 2450. I usually shoot only black and white with my medium format (but also the occasional color roll) and Digital ICE only works on C-41 (including the C-41 b&w films) and E-6, it will NOT work on Kodachrome or traditional black and white film (not sure about Scala, but I think it does not--do not believe me on this if you shoot scala, definitely find out for yourself).
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="Les McLean"] I settled for an Epson 3200 and have been very pleased with the results.

Thanks Les and others who have contributed. I am drawn to that model too. Have you used it for MF and 35mm scanning at all ? As an aside, I know you have a 5x4 enlarger, do you use the scanner for 5x4 colour work ?
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one too, and I like the 35mm setup because you can put two 6 frame strips into it, individually adjust the frames in prescan then set it to scan and it will do all six without needing any other help. It does pretty good for medium format but I had to make my own carrier for the film from mat board to get multiple frame scanning. With that I can do 3 frames at a time. I haven't shot any color 4x5 yet so I can't comment, but it does an excellent job with 35mm and medium format color.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a newly aquired rb67. I am told the negs are 6X7 (cm i suppose) will epson 4870 scan negs that size? will the 2450? 3200? i keep hearing mf then see 4X5 what about 6X7?
    or will i have to have one print done at developing and scan the print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have an Epson 3200, and feel it does a fine job on prints, pretty well with 4x5, and OK on MF and 35mm. For MF and 35mm, I get much better scans from the Polaroid Sprintscan 120 (now, Microtek) that sits next to the 3200. For 8x10 and "contact sheets" of PrintFile pages, I use a clunky old Epson Expression 800.

Since joining APUG, however, I've converted them all to run off a robust rat in a squirrel cage, so they are quasi-analog devices.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Canon 9900F which will take up to 4x5 negs and I'm not overly impressed with it. The price was right and colour negs are fine but for some reason BW negs have added grain. I even have to use a soft grain filter when scanning, which decreases the quality. Prints scan just fine but if I could do it over again I would go for an Epson.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry1948
    I have a newly aquired rb67. I am told the negs are 6X7 (cm i suppose) will epson 4870 scan negs that size? will the 2450? 3200? i keep hearing mf then see 4X5 what about 6X7?
    or will i have to have one print done at developing and scan the print?
    I have a 1640, which is these guys great grand daddy, but I'm sure the same applies in that the max size neg/slide that can be scanned is what's quoted and you can scan anything smaller. Mine has a seperate cover with a light in it (which alows the negs to be scanned with light shining through it rather than reflected light like a flatbed document scan). No idea if the latter model Epsons have the same arangement but the concept will be the same.

BTW, a RB67 creates (usually) a "6x7cm" neg, which in reality will be 56mmx68mm or something like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandalay
    . . . but for some reason BW negs have added grain.
    Art - you might try scanning B&W negs as positives, and then invert in your photo editor. I'm not sure which software came with your Canon, but I sometimes need to do that with the Epson and Silverfast.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin