Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,383   Online: 1139

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flatbed scanner

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not possessing a scanner of my own but wishing to have one for a variety of purposes (not least for being able to post something in the galleries eventually) I have been looking at the adverts to see what is available. I see that Epson 4870 photo is being advertised and I was wondering if any members had any knowledge of the suitability of this for scanning MF and LF negatives for contact printing. Taking a different viewpoint, would any of the other and cheaper, Epson models produce equally good results. I do have access to a dedicated 35mm scanner from time to time but the flatbed scanner will be located at home. Any input will be appreciated.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roy

A lot of people are using the Epson 3200 scanner which can scan upto 5x4 negs. Retails around £220 and comes with Silverfast scanning software which is excellent.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because I use 4 x 5 and cannot afford a Creo or Imacon I settled for an Epson 3200 and have been very pleased with the results. The price is very reasonable and I find the Epson software extremely user friendly.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm even cheaper than Les - I use an AGFA Duoscan T1200, which can scan film up to 8x10". Perfect for me, as I use all sizes up to 5x7"!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I must be even cheaper than Ole with my Duoscan Solo (1000 dpi), which I bought because it could handle 8x10" negs and transparencies. Maybe eventually I'll upgrade to a Duoscan HiD.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Epson 2450 can scan 4x5 and scans my MF negs just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you're in England I am not sure how feasible shipping costs would be, but a refurbished Epson 3200 is $299 with free shipping in the US and the 2450 model is $199 with free ground shipping in the US at www.epson.com

These are in the clearance center.

I have the 2450 as I won't print over 13x19 here at home (Canon S9000) and any larger I can get either a Nikon 8000 (soon to be 9000), Imacon, or even Drum Scan in my local area.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take care when you are thinking of importing goods into the Uk from outside of the EU. You will have to pay around an extra 30% in import duty, VAT and customs clearance plus freight. If the deal still looks good go ahead, Iíve imported quite a bit from the USA without problem, mainly Graphex bits and LF lenses. You would have course have a voltage problem with electrical goods from the USA, not insurmountable though. As for your question on flatbeds, any of those from the main manufactures that are fitted with transparency hoods will be fine. I have Canon D2400U that Iím happy with.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dan Anderson (of http://www.danielandersonphotography.com fame) takes digital photographs of his mounted prints - these digital images are 'matted' and 'framed' using something like Photoshop, and then uploaded to his website.

I tried it, and it works remarkably well. Once you've taken a photograph of the image (preferably using an compressed format such as TIFF), you still have to unsharp mask the image to get back the fuzziness of the digital image, but once you've done that, you're left with a pretty close facsimile of the original photograph.

I'm busy redoing my website, and I plan on re-taking all the website images using this image. It's quick, simple, and looks pretty darn good.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roy,

Being a cheapskate I got a second hand Epson GT700 photo scanner for £50 (off ebay). The transparency adaptor is ideal for scanning my MF negatives for viewing on screen. I have tried printing results (12X8) via an online printing service - but it is in the post at the moment (a particularly difficult negative which I am also still trying to print in the darkroom - this was a last resort!).

I find it useful to be able to see large contact images of negs before hitting the darkroom (the reason I got the scanner).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin