Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,001   Posts: 1,633,478   Online: 834
      
Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 394344454647484950515253545559 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 693
  1. #481
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,829
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
    If I recall, the zeiss bumps are caused by oxidation
    I understand the logic behind a lot of the American modifications of English words but I think reducing oxidisation to oxidation is a strange one.


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  2. #482
    Rick A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    north central Pa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,691
    Images
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I understand the logic behind a lot of the American modifications of English words but I think reducing oxidisation to oxidation is a strange one.


    Steve.
    I wish you fellows on that side of the pond would learn to spell, it is "oxidization". Stop using "s" in place of a "z" all the time. Cheeze whiz.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

  3. #483
    Diapositivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,844
    Oxidation (and also oxidization) is what my dictionary carries. That must be right because in Italian is ossidazione, the formation of an ossido an oxyde a compound containing oxygen. When something already underwent the chemical process, you say it is oxidized.

    Forming oxidization from oxidized sounds a bit clumsy, a bit like saying "the developization of a roll of film" re-forming the noun from the past participle of the connected verb. So Oxidation is the way to go, and in any case it sounds better
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

  4. #484
    michaelbsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,106
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I understand the logic behind a lot of the American modifications of English words but I think reducing oxidisation to oxidation is a strange one.


    Steve.
    We don't need no stinkin' logic. We got lazy (or is it lasy) on our side!
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

    The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

  5. #485
    Rick A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    north central Pa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,691
    Images
    35
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

  6. #486
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,829
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Forming oxidization from oxidized sounds a bit clumsy, a bit like saying "the developization of a roll of film"
    It doesn't because ize is not in develop but ise is in oxidise.

    And oxidise sounds better.... especially with an English accent!

    EDIT: And you Americans have the strange word burglarized or burglarization. A reverse case of adding an ize where one was not required (we say burgled instead of burglarized).

    Oh yes, to get back on topic, this is a free stuff thread. Post your sentences here and I will criticise (or criticize) them free of charge!!


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  7. #487
    Rick A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    north central Pa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,691
    Images
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It doesn't because ize is not in develop but ise is in oxidise.

    And oxidise sounds better.... especially with an English accent!

    EDIT: And you Americans have the strange word burglarized or burglarization. A reverse case of adding an ize where one was not required (we say burgled instead of burglarized).

    Oh yes, to get back on topic, this is a free stuff thread. Post your sentences here and I will criticise (or criticize) them free of charge!!


    Steve.
    Don't you mean "burglariSed".
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

  8. #488
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,829
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Don't you mean "burglariSed".
    No. I wrote it so you Americans would understand it. And it's an American only word so there isn't a version with an 's' in it!


    Steev.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  9. #489
    Focus No. 9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    243
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Don't you mean "burglariSed".


    what's up with galoer? is it a jailer or a gallower?

    and the be clear...
    I was burgled.
    My house was burglarized.
    I felt has if I was experiencing a burglarmation(burglarization) while(whilst) the cop(bobby) was asking me severe questions(interviewed) while stripping the film out of my camera.
    Last edited by Focus No. 9; 06-05-2011 at 08:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  10. #490
    altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    392
    Is this a free stuff thread or is it a free spelling lessons thread?



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin