Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,210   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Stereo/3D Projections

Howdy all,

So lately I've been stricken by the desire to see my pictures in 3D. So far I'm still in the planning stages, but I do have a lot of the necessary equipement.

I've got 2 Kodak Carousels, 2 Canon AE-1's with matching 50mm lenses, a Da-Lite Silver-Lite Lenticular screen (thanks dad for buying the coolest stuff & then leaving it boxed, in the basement, for years!). Unfortunately I don't have 2 'like' lenses for the projectors yet (I have a 2.5", a 4.5" & a 102mm, would love to do some trading...) or a suitable camera bar.

Anyways, I'm just curious if anyone has done this and could give me some pointers or share their ideas. It seems like a really cool thing, and I think if I can pull it off I could actually entertain my friends w/ slide shows. Maybe 3D could've spared slide shows from garnering a reputation as "boring as hell". Of course, I don't think they're boring....

This website is fantastic, has lots of valuable information - http://www.crystalcanyons.net/Pages/3D/Guidebook.shtm

Cheers!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Aligning two projectors is not easy, but it can be done. I would suggest that you ask around on the Yahoo! group photo-3d as there are a great number of people who project various stereoscopic formats all the time there and they may be able to provide some insight into the process that I cannot. My experience has been with stereo projectors projecting mounted stereo transparencies, so the alignment is not a problem. You'll need to get two polarizing filters that fit your lenses, once you get a pair of the same lens, then rotate one perpendicular to the other. This will allow the right and left sides of the pair to be seen by the correct eye. Then you'll want to get a decent pair of glasses for viewing. Most of my experience with this has been with these two people: Steve Berezin and George Themelis. Both are very skilled in all aspects of stereo photography and both are very professional and always happy to help others.

Stereo photography is very rewarding, at least in my experience, but projecting can be a real bear unless you have a good idea of what you are doing. Hand viewing stereo pairs made with a stereo Realist is my personal favorite way to view stereo images, but that's just me. I'm hopelessly addicted to View-Master reels so I'm a little biased in that regard. I'd be interested to hear how this project goes!

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm sure it won't be easy to do the aligning. But I'm picking up a slide cutter and mounts today, so I can carefully register them, and I'll to figure out a good system for stacking the projectors. I'm also compiling a list of cool shots.

It'll be a long, drawn out process I'm sure, but as you said, hopefully very rewarding. I can't get over the brilliance of most slide projections & I can only imagine that with 3D it'll seem as though I could walk through the picture.

But I digress, I'll try to report back once I've done it, and thanks for the links.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I can't get over the brilliance of most slide projections & I can only imagine that with 3D it'll seem as though I could walk through the picture.

But I digress, I'll try to report back once I've done it, and thanks for the links.
    Yep, that's the magic It's really amazing when done right. Let us know how it goes...

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder how do you project 3D images? You must have a way so that the left eye only sees the left image and the right eye only sees the right image.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Chan,

Polarizing filters are used. They are set perpendicular to each other, and glasses with matching polarizes are used to view the projected image. This allows only the right eye to see the right eye image, and the left eye to see only the left eye image. You can also project anaglyphs using two colors, usually red and blue, but this is not a comfortable to view in my opinion. The only other way that I am aware of is shutter glasses, which blank out one eye, then the other, very fast and in sych with a special projecting unit so that when the right eye can see, the right eye image is projected (and the left eye is blocked by the glasses), and the same happens for the left eye (left image projected/right eye blocked).

- Randy

- Randy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The glass bead screen is also important for reflecting the polarized projected light back to your (polarized glasses wearing) eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I wonder how do you project 3D images? You must have a way so that the left eye only sees the left image and the right eye only sees the right image.
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks Tracey, because a diffused screen would negate the effect of the polarized light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TracyStorer View Post
    The glass bead screen is also important for reflecting the polarized projected light back to your (polarized glasses wearing) eyes.
    Is it correct to say the lenticular screen will not work?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    John,

There is some good info on projection screen choice on this page. I believe that lenticular screens are fine for slide projection. (just don't use them for digital projectors - they cause moire patterns).

http://www.crystalcanyons.net/Pages/...Projection.htm

- Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin