Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,468   Posts: 1,644,084   Online: 768

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Duplicating Negatives w/ Print Film - Need Color Compensation...

Hey y'all,

So I've recently picked up a Canon FL Bellows & Slide Duplicator for use with my AE-1. I have no desire to duplicate slides, but rather to turn negatives into slides by shooting w/ regular print film.

However, I know that if I do this I'll get a terrible blue(?) cast, because of the orange coating on color negs. So the question is, what kind of filter should I use to get natural looking slides in this manner.

And now that I'm writing this I'm second guessing myself even more, because even if I remove the cast from the original negative, the new negative (or in this case a positive) I create will have it's own orange cast. Or will there be some sort of counteracting effect in there that I'm not realizing??.... aaah!

So basically, I want 'decent' looking slides that I can mount myself from negatives developed in the normal C-41 process.

I look forward to your comments!!

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your positives will still have an orange mask, it's included in the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bummer dude

But theoretically speaking.... what if I compensated so much so that the orange layer on the film balanced out the highly compensated image to a natural balance? Could such a thing be done?
    Last edited by holmburgers; 08-19-2009 at 10:50 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wanted to add more

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking there was a Kodak film especially for this purpose. I'll lookfor the info but it may no longer be around.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah I believe you're right, but I'm pretty sure it's discontinued.... of course!

But if the orange mask is basically just a filter, couldn't I reverse it's effect by applying it's complementary color (blue, right?) in the appropriate amount?

It might not be perfect, it wouldn't definitely decrease EV, but I'd be willing to try it if someone could point me in the right direction for gel colors/strengths.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make a print then copy this with slide film.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's just too much "signal loss" when going to a print. Because any print I get would undoubtedly be a giclee (a.k.a inkjet printer) and resolution would certainly be sacrificed.

I'd like to keep it uni-generational, if you will

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't thinking printing a print by digital means (Yuk), rather, making a print the traditional dark room way. I would also suggest the print should be at least 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, that would be awesome, but I have no means/expertise to do color printing. And the main allure of copying from negatives would be a cheap & easy way to get slides from any of my photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look for a lab (mail order if none local) that does RA prints and try either or both 5x7 and or 4x6 and make a copy and see how it projects.

Sorry, cheap and easy does not always go together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin