Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,655   Posts: 1,481,402   Online: 1081

Shooter
    Multi Format

Reskinning binoculars.

Thanks to Mike1234 I've been able to identify my binoculars as being French WWI.
    The enclosed pic. shows them in very rough condition.Glass is good and after an internal cleaning they perform well.I'd like to re-skin them.My only other attempt was an Argus Brick and I used the old cover as a template.
    Suggestions??

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As with antique cars, it is probably worth much more with the original skin.

Ask yourself, is this really what you want to do?

I recommend that you enjoy it as it is.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another perspective.

If you intend to use these binoculars, the "skin" may currently be quite slippery. If so, a change may reduce their value for sale, but increase their usability.

My father still uses a pair of binoculars that were passed on to him by his father. My grandfather (who spent the entire war as a stretcher bearer) got his from a deceased French officer, who my grandfather spent some considerable time with in a front lines trench during a continuous bombardment during WW1.

I wonder if the OP's binoculars have a similar history.

By the way, neither my Dad nor my grandfather ever did anything to improve or repair their binoculars.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I totally agree.If there was any covering I'd leave well enough alone.One of the previous owners must have pealed the leather off and now my Kinux are naked and ugly.Thought I'd try to reskin with the proper period material.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    check microtools.com the have a variety of materials. I don't know if they're available in large enough sizes to cover each side in a single piece.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If originaly it was covered with leather check localy for some thin leather in the right color and texture.
    In that way you preserve the original look and feel and it adds to the value.

Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin