Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,995   Online: 840

Shooter
    Large Format

Gitzo 410 tripod & 525 rapid column

I got one of these off KEH a little more than 2 weeks ago and was too busy with studio projects (architecture grad student) to test it out.

I now find that with my head on it (a bogen 3047) the head, and entire center column, will rotate no matter how tightly the column is locked down.

I did a google or two and managed to turn up someone with a similar complaint, and someone replied that this is a standard 'feature' to these older 410's. I find that hard to believe as this makes the tripod fairly useless.

Any thoughts?

I ended up just buying a GT5531S for $848 with $68 dollars cashback from bing and the $40 mail-in rebate gitzo's running now, but I want to sell(too late to return) this 410, but don't want to off it on someone without fixing it. Thinking about using it as a laptop/lighting/etc stand if it's beyond hope.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There should be a vertical pin sticking up from the plate at the top of the tripod and a hole in the bottom of the plate on the column. When these are aligned & mated the column won't rotate. When the column is extended the column will rotate. I think the newer tripods have a ridge on the column to prevent the rotation.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin