Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,181   Online: 1142

Shooter
    Multi Format

3rd generation minutero

I'm not sure where this topic goes, but I thought it would surely be of interest on this forum . . . It's an article in yesterday's LA Times about a third-generation portrait photographer in today's India —a "minutero" street photographer— who still uses his grandfather's camera from (according to the article) the 1860's:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,4488845.story

Here are a couple of interesting quotes by the 42 year-old Indian photographer in the article:

"Digital cameras can never give such joy" [as the 150 year-old camera he's using today]

"Computerization has made us lazy," he said. "Clicking pictures used to be an art. Now the thinking has disappeared and all they do is click a mouse."
    Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 09-02-2009 at 05:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    lovely story. So he actually takes the picture, develops the negative and the positive on the spot? Wow i have got to see that myself....damn no money for ticket.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately they belong to a vanishing species. I had the privilege of meeting one in La Habana

http://public.fotki.com/BlueWind/fotografo-minutero/

Regards
    Joao

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin