Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,912   Posts: 1,584,692   Online: 671

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How to dispose of chemicals?

I have apx 50 or so gallons of chemicals that i need to dispose of. I could not sell them or even give them away so now i have to dump them. I could not do that to the sewer system so im asking for advice on what to do. They are all E6 chems in 5 gallon jugs. Is there such a place i can go to dispose of them?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure where you are, but we have the occasional "toxic waste day" about twice a year in my area of New England, or there is a company called Safety-Kleen that can help you dispose of your chemistry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Suzanne! I will see if we have that here in Chicago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You live in a huge city. They must have a public hazardous waste collection program like we have here in L.A. Check with your government's (probably city, but possibly county) sanitation bureau.

The fact that these are NOS chemicals makes things easier on everyone, and makes them less hazardous. They are not loaded with silver, and they are already appropriately labeled. It really could not get any easier for the hazmat facilities.

I recently disposed of about 30 liters worth of NOS Ilfochrome chemistry that was given to me. I kept it for about two years, but every kit was missing one component of the developer, and the bleach powder was liquefying and starting to burn through the metal bags. I decided it all had to go, so I took it all down there. It was free and easy.

It's a great opportunity to take all your other waste while you are at it. Paint, batteries, rags, solvents, auto fluids, electronic waste, etc.

Here, it is illegal to take in more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste at a time, so you may need to make a few trips if the law is similar in Chicago.

(Here is an example of L.A.'s program: http://www.lacitysan.org/solid_resou...ters/index.htm.)
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-02-2009 at 09:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found a location in Chicago about 1 or 2 blocks from Calumet Photo! 2 birds with one stone!
    Last edited by J Rollinger; 09-02-2009 at 09:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Thats what i found. I think the chems are considered hobby chemicals?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds more like stuff from a lab or a mini-lab. The link indicates No business/commercial sector waste.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    I have apx 50 or so gallons of chemicals that i need to dispose of. I could not sell them or even give them away so now i have to dump them. I could not do that to the sewer system so im asking for advice on what to do. They are all E6 chems in 5 gallon jugs. Is there such a place i can go to dispose of them?

Thanks
    go to the porter's photo store website
    search for "silver magnet"
    it costs about 45$ and will plate just about all of the silver out of your
    spent fixer.

you can get upto 38 or so troy oz on the magnet and
    ship the cathode to a company that will reclaim it for you ..
    no minimum amount, just the $$ for the silver ...
    ... and you don't need to worry about 50gallons of fixer
    tipping over in your back seat ...

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    go to the porter's photo store website
    search for "silver magnet"
    it costs about 45$ and will plate just about all of the silver out of your
    spent fixer.

you can get upto 38 or so troy oz on the magnet and
    ship the cathode to a company that will reclaim it for you ..
    no minimum amount, just the $$ for the silver ...
    ... and you don't need to worry about 50gallons of fixer
    tipping over in your back seat ...

good luck!
    john
    John

All of the chems are new and in sealed jugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin