Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,724   Online: 760

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tenba Messenger bag? Mamiya 645Pro/Super

My normal EagleCreek briefcase needs to go back for new zippers (10 years+) so I need something for the stuff I need to carry back and forth to work. Looking at the new version of this bag from EagleCreek I notice that not only is it not exactly what I want, but that it is a small fortune for what it does. I recently got an email about the Tenba Messenger bags and thought I might get one of these since I also have a $20 off coupon. It looks like it will cover my office needs, but wanted to ask if anyone has used it with a 645 sized SLR (specifically the Mamiya 645 Super/Pro with prism, motor drive, and back. Probably the 210f4, 55f2.8, and Russian 30f3.5 fisheye)?

Not sure yet if I would go for the small or large bag.
    http://www.tenba.com/subcollections/...enger/Bag.aspx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very little size difference btw the 'small' and the 'large'. Even the small is quite bulky

Small is 16in x 11in x 5-8in inside.
    large is 17in x 12in x 5-8in

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the large Tenba messenger and I love it. It'll take just about anything within reason. I use it as my about town/going to work bag and it usually has a gripped Minolta Dynax 7 or (ahem) dSLR and a selection of lenses in it. It'll take a laptop and other toys too, without trouble.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My laptop is just about pocket sized, so all these are way too big for that (Fujitsu u810). I'm thinking it would be nice to have a place for a small TLR so that I always have something with me. Have to check out the camera liner a little more and see how I can configure it. Can you change the size and number of compartments in the camera liner?

I've had Tenba bags in the past, so I'm not concerned about quality, I know it will be a decent bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    My laptop is just about pocket sized, so all these are way too big for that (Fujitsu u810). I'm thinking it would be nice to have a place for a small TLR so that I always have something with me. Have to check out the camera liner a little more and see how I can configure it. Can you change the size and number of compartments in the camera liner?

I've had Tenba bags in the past, so I'm not concerned about quality, I know it will be a decent bag.
    The camera liner is configureable within the restrictions of its shape... long and thin. Mine is divided into one narrow compartment for a lens of the 70-200/2.8 size, a central camera space and another for smaller lenses or flash.
    There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks. Going to order one now.

Went with the small size, I will NEVER own a laptop as large as a 17 inch, might as well carry around a tower computer and display.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 09-11-2009 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Arrived today... Looks like decent quality, now just need to move the necessary items from my briefcase to this new bag and figure out the rest. Not sure what to do with the giant laptop compartment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It has lots of pockets, but once you start stuffing things in them it bulks up really fast. I guess it is not made for early 2000 era MP3 players and thicker cell phones. Not entirely displeased, but not entirely pleased either. And this is before I even try to add anything except a simple point and shoot digital camera, might have enough room left for a TLR which won't be too bad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know they are expensive, but I just picked up a Jack Weatherproof bag from Jill E. It has tons of room for my Mamiya 645AF, plus I can either throw my trusty AE-1 35mm or almost all of my hand processing gear in it (except chemicals) if I am going to go use the lab at school instead of processing negatives at home. I got a deal from my local camera shop on it (219.00 +Tax) but Adorama sells it for 289.00. It is made of all leather and has a padded laptop pocket on the back for up to a 17", but mine is usually full of film. Just a suggestion.

I know you have purchased the Tenba bag, but thought I would throw this in just incase someone else came along looking for the same info.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin