Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,949   Online: 1010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I had a strange thing last weekend when shooting in the woods

Last Saturday very early in the morning I went to the woods nearby to make a picture of a little creek "de beerze" where some trees fell over a couple of years ago. I go there a few times a year to make the same picture (4x5) so that I have a serie after 10 years about how the trees disappear over the years.

I put up my shen hao 4x5, measured light at 1 minute at F22, put in a sheetholder, hit the extension cord and initialized the timer.
    After that i watched the scene to see if no wind was going to mess up my picture.

After some 15 seconds I saw something on top of the tree that was lying across the creek. When looking at that spot, I saw a young fox walking from the left to the right over the tree and disappearing into the woods at the other side. He had not seen me standing there 10 meter away.
    Directly after the fox disappeared, a kingsfisher flew over the tree over the creek.

Sure nothing is on my film, but it was a very nice experience that made my day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And to think that my wife, when she accompanies me, thinks I am too slow moving when I shoot LF. You have been subtle enough in your movements to not even alarm a fox. Glad that you had the experience that you did. Some things in life are best just experienced, rather than forever thinking that you should have got a picture of it.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Such are the pleasures of being out in the woods. Like Mike says, some things are just good experiences, and we don't always need to have a picture.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amazing the things that happen out there when you're hyper tuned to your surroundings.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yep. This is one of the reasons I love LF photography. LFers create the opportunity to see things that everyone else just passes by without a clue. Reminds me of the old Dorthea Lange quote: "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Some things in life are best just experienced, rather than forever thinking that you should have got a picture of it.
    Well stated...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Amazing the things that happen out there when you're hyper tuned to your surroundings.
    Amazing indeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    Well stated...

- Randy
    Seconded....

It's very easy (too easy) as a photographer to see the world exclusively through a split prism.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Mike as well; anyway the photograph will always remind you of the fox!

Anyway foxes are very curious creatures that will come close and investigate what humans are up to (usually their downfall) and also will return to the same territory many times, so... just go out there and sit down and relax and you'll probably see it again.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Some things in life are best just experienced, rather than forever thinking that you should have got a picture of it.
    I wish I could get my wife to believe this. She wants me to photograph everything, so I frequently miss the event while trying to get the shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin