Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,779   Online: 848

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The odds are in your favor that you won't need the extended warranty.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would vote no on a monitor. I think they sometimes make sense on laptops, depending on the cost. I got one on my Mac Pro because they dropped the price down to $50. At that price it seemed worth it to me, though even then I bet I wasted my money. We will see in 3 years.

Shooter
    35mm
    The odds are in the guy who sells the warranty favor. He knows that the chance of having to pay for any repair is a lot less than the money he makes by selling you the warranty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, some credit cards (such as many AMEX cards) automatically extend the warranty.

Statistically speaking these warranties are not good deals. But you have to also look at the item and your usage. If it's unusually complex or relatively new, it may be worth it. For a monitor, not likely.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I just picked up a 20" Samsung LED monitor for 150 bones.Before I even had my wallet out the salesman offered the "5 year extended warranty package"..........for another 50 bucks.
    Are these options worth the money?
    ******The extended warranties are heavilly spiffed. If you have the cash, help the sales person out. With cameras, computers, other such, if you are going to have trouble, it will almost always be during the manu warranty, as others have said.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking as someone who has worked in the insurance profession in the UK for the last 30 years, I would say 'maybe'.

Most policies cover you for physical loss and damage - fire, storm, flood, theft, accidental damage, etc. The warranties you're referring to cover breakdown - usually electrical or mechanical. There are exclusions and, often on larger items, there'll be a requirement that the item will need to be subject to a regular preventative maintenance programme. Cover might only extend as far as 'negligent breakdown' - i.e. that which falls outside of what would be covered by a preventative maintenance programme.

It's certainly true that many of the products sold through hight street retailers carry massive commission levels and sales target inducements and you can always haggle. Sometimes it's easier getting a few quid off the breakdown cover than it is off the item itself.

Don't dismiss them out of hand but do shop around as the cost of the item you're buying might be cheaper somewhere else and enable you to afford the warranty. If you're talking about a very expensive piece of technology, as yourself what you'd do if it failed the day after the manufacturer's warranty expired.

Although I don't deal with personal homecover policies, it wouldn't be a big leap to imagine this cover one day becoming a standard feature in those policies and covering all of the stuff in your home.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Last summer my Benq TFT smoked off. It was only 2 1/2 years old, slightly more than the 2 years warranty. Frustrated about this, I ended up buying an Eizo as replacement, which comes with a 5-year warranty from the factory (at least here in Germany). I just wanted to mention this as an example for a TFT display that died earlier than I would have expected. Nevertheless I would not buy an expensive warranty extension that is 1/3 of the new price for something whatever it may be. I think you have done just right.
    Best regards, Benjamin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Slixtiesix;862853]Last summer my Benq TFT smoked off. It was only 2 1/2 years old, slightly more than the 2 years warranty. Frustrated about this, I ended up buying an Eizo as replacement, which comes with a 5-year warranty from the factory (at least here in Germany). I just wanted to mention this as an example for a TFT display that died earlier than I would have expected. Nevertheless I would not buy an expensive warranty extension that is 1/3 of the new price for something whatever it may be. I think you have done just right.

What is a TFT?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As with most things, it's a judgement call, though my own judgement has been that it's rarely worth it. In the UK at least, the manufacturer's warranty is not all that covers the goods, so the prospect that it may fail the day after the manufacturer's warranty expires is not in itself reason enough to buy an extended warranty. Whilst it's not precise, in UK law goods have to last a reasonable amount of time, and one is still entitled to redress even outside the manufacturer's warranty period, which is why warranties in the UK carry a notice advising the buyer that the warranty is in addition to, and does not affect, your rights under consumer legislation. If the extended warranty is a small enough proportion of the price of an item that you expect to have a long service life -- for example a washing machine as opposed to a mobile phone (to choose non-photographic examples!) -- then you may think it worth it for the peace of mind.

I took out a similar sort of policy for household appliances, through our energy supplier at the time. They kept pressing us to 'upgrade' the policy every so often. Eventually, we were paying them GBP 650 a year, more than our house buildings and contents and photographic insurance combined. For reasons that are too off-topic for here (they were unable to identify and repair a fault that persisted for three years), we cancelled the policy, and received the rudest and most impertinent telephone treatment we've ever had from any service organisation.
    Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the UK, the Sale of Goods act covers consumer goods up to 6 years old for any failure that was either caused by a defect present when the item was bought new, or which emerged during its lifetime and not caused by unreasonable wear and tear. The responsibility to make good is with the retailer not the manufacturer, and the burden is on them to prove that the problem was caused by unreasonable treatment.

Only time I've paid for an extended warranty is for a non-analogue SLR, and that was only because the warranty covered accidental damage and theft as well as break down. This was five years ago when the replacement would have cost £800 and they were a lot less common and therefore more attractive to thieves.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin