Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,265   Online: 820

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Extended Warranty.Yea or Nay?

I just picked up a 20" Samsung LED monitor for 150 bones.Before I even had my wallet out the salesman offered the "5 year extended warranty package"..........for another 50 bucks.
    Are these options worth the money?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Postulate this: In 3 years, likely you could buy something just as good for 100 bones. I've used those warranties at Radio Shack on things like headphones that seem delicate and have a tough life. I don't think of monitors as failing very often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No. Electronics are pretty reliable and if they fail, they tend to early on. This is a money making scam. I never take them. Try Googling, I think you will find the same sort of information.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Almost invariably not. Dealers push these extended warranty insurance policies because they often make more profit on the policy than on the item it covers. Obviously I don't know consumer law as it applies where you are, but in the UK consumer protection legislation is fairly strong anyway. You could take out a whole slew of these policies for different consumer items, and it would generally cost you more than if you'd assumed that one of these items would fail and merely paid the replacement yourself.

I was recently invited to pay GBP 15 for an extended warranty on a lamp standard that cost GBP 30, where the only possible fault would be the failure of the bulb in the socket. I just decline these with a smile.
    Alex

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't buy extended warranties. In the long run I feel it is much cheaper to simply pay for the repair or replacement of the item if it breaks. Most things I buy are good quality and quite reliable. I have saved thousands of dollars over the years.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm much more positive about extended warranties for larger, less portable items. We recently purchased a new washer and dryer, and the extended warranty for the two of them (up to 5 years) was less than 15% of the new purchase price, and probably less than one service call.

The fact that the extended warranties are based on the purchase price also means that if you get a really good deal on an item, the extended warranty may make more sense. I recently purchased a new laser printer/scanner/copier at a greatly reduced (50% off) price. The extended warranty was less than $20.00, and a regular priced replacement machine would be over $200.00, so again the warranty made some sense.

So for me, the answer is "it depends".

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nay.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    A definite "No" here.

Modern electronics are so reliable that, with normal care and use, it is very unlikely that you will have any problems, certainly within the five years of the extended warrenty.

And you are relying on the warrenty company still being in business if you did need to claim...there have been problems in this respect, certainly in the UK.

I'd just keep your $50 in the bank towards the cost of any eventual repair/replacement, chances are that it will still be there at the end of the 5 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nay Most electronic stuff that fails goes in the "infant mortality" stage or else after a long, long time of use. The normal warranty should cover the infant mortality problem, and by the time the end of life stuff hits, you'll have been looking for an excuse to replace it anyway.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't buy the warranty mike there a rip off, I used to sell them I know,unless you can screw them to throw it in with the price, it costs then very little. The last time I bought a dvd recorder the salesman offered me an extended five year warranty, I told him that I'm seventy and that I would be happy to pay for it , if he could guarantee I would be alive to claim for the full warranty period, the guy shut up very quickly.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-16-2009 at 06:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin