Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,719   Online: 761

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

ISO-Settings on D****l-Cameras

Hi,

this is not meant to start a fresh d*****l-bashing thread. It's just a word of warning. If this is not the appropriate place, please moderators, feel free to warp it elsewhere.
    As we all, I need this other type of camera occasionally. So I acquired a finepix f8000fd cheap off an well known auction site lately.
    Due to the small sensor I knew that I would not be able to make use of ISO settings above ISO 400. But I was irritated that the camera exposed at f5.6 and 1/60s at ISO200 in open shadow on a bright September afternoon in the garden. I checked with a Seconic L-508 and got a more realistic reading of 1/250s at f5.6. So the camera fools me about two f-stops. I will not be able to really get anything useful out of this camera at ISO-settings larger than 100. Besides that the dynamic range is horrible. It's about three or four f-stops.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd suggest that the moderators not lock this thread just yet, since the meter accuracy of d*g*t*l cameras is actually relevant if you use one as a light meter (and I believe we tolerate all technologies for metering, right? :-)

The results you describe really sound *remarkably* bad to me. I generally find that my "expensive meters with lenses" overexpose by a little compared to what I want---they seem to prefer to blow the highlights---but the "error" (if that's even the word; it's partly a matter of taste) certainly isn't two full stops! (Apart from the sort of situations that will confuse any meter---small shaded subjects against a bright background, and so on.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I appreciate that some people might be using a DSLR to meter a scene, but this is off topic for APUG. I think starting such a thread over at Hybrid Photo, our sister site, might prove useful.

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 09-21-2009 at 12:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added a link.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin