Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,909   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take the Nikon FM, sell the Chinon and buy a ext tube to do macro . Rules that work for me - To much gear will ruin trip, if its in your bag you won't use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't sell the chinon though, I inherited you see. It would be rude to sell I think (although he can't really do anything about it). And I really like the m42 mount, there are so many good lenses available for a song.

I think I will go for the FM with a few lenses, no tripod and a digital prosumer compact.

Sigh. I really wanted the RB for this one, but as I'm the one carrying the tent and stove I think the extra bulk will make the trip somewhat less enjoyable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Take it all. Plus a good, heavy tripod. (This is from a guy who just spent two weeks backpacking in the High Sierra with a Pentax 67).

Kris

Shooter
    35mm
    The N80 would be my first choice, along with the 50mm and 28mm prime. You could pick up an N75 for a song and keep one for color, one for B&W. Don't forget a polarizer. If you use Ektar with a polarizer you get Velvia, but no slides to project and wow your friends with when you get back.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    Going hiking soon, in mountains and marsh lands. In the far north of sweden. Probably fantastic autumn colours. I'm thinking of what to bring. I wanna do some landscape photo I think, and may be some close-up still lifes.
    How much do the latter figure in your plans? If you are quite serious about close-up work, an SLR would have an advantage over the rangefinders.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Throw out the knife, fork, & spoon set and buy yourself a lightweight titanium spork instead. Then have a look at the cooking gear - A single Ti pan is enough, and you can cook over a pepsi can stove. Tent pegs can be made from sticks laying around, and you can cut out poles by using your tripod as the main support.

Now you can think about packing the RB67

Remember - If your camping gear weighs more than the camera kit, either pick a lighter tent or get a bigger camera :o

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Throw out the knife, fork, & spoon set and buy yourself a lightweight titanium spork instead. Then have a look at the cooking gear - A single Ti pan is enough, and you can cook over a pepsi can stove. Tent pegs can be made from sticks laying around, and you can cut out poles by using your tripod as the main support.

Now you can think about packing the RB67

Remember - If your camping gear weighs more than the camera kit, either pick a lighter tent or get a bigger camera :o
    Take the rb67. If you really want to take it, just deal with the extra weight. I'd rather regret having too much with me than too little.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I agree with taking the FM and a couple of primes. I'm surprised so many people recommend not taking a tripod. Your FM kit gives you the lens flexibility and weight/size advantages, but the tripod will get you the quality enlargements you were looking for with the RB. I'd pack a compact gitzo in a heartbeat.

B.t.w., Wyno, that list of stuff you hauled around made my back hurt just reading it!
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The choices I have made are in bold below:

*Mamiya RB67 (only one back unfortunately and the 90 mm C)
    *Nikon FM (50/1.8, 28-80/3.5-4.5,28/2.5)
    *Chinon CX (no batteries, and no 1.35 available before leaving. 135/2.8, 28-80/a lot + macro, 55/1.7 and a few other slow lenses)
    *Rollei 35 T (40/3.5 scale focus)
    *Yashica lynx 14E (45/1.4 range finder)
    *Nikon F80 (N80 in the us) (same lenses as the FM plus a G 70-300/4.5-5.6)
    *Minolta something point-and-shoot.

For these choices (not the BIG Mama Mamiya!), add a small tripod (the lighter the better i.e. carbon fibre)

Believe me it's no fun carrying 11kg of cameras on your back through untracked country, fording rivers, slogging uphill and bashing through tangled undergrowth; I tend to pack light now..
    I guess, though, Wyno will beg to differ...
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-22-2009 at 09:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

[...]
    B.t.w., Wyno, that list of stuff you hauled around made my back hurt just reading it!

If I recall correctly, Wyno's kit weighs in at 30kg+ ! You read it right...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin