Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,842   Online: 794

View Poll Results: HOW Analog Are You?

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totally analog; don't own or use a digital camera of any kind.

78 34.67%
  • Mostly analog/film; may on occasion use a digital camera (less than 10% of time)

101 44.89%
  • Mostly hybrid; use film primarily for capture, and scan & print digitally most of the time

46 20.44%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just shot a wedding borrowing one digital camera and renting another. My first digital experience. A nightmare. Now I am looking at who knows how many hours editing and correcting the curve on 975 images. That is the last time I will do that.... analog for me.
    Dennis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I shoot all film. I have never owned a digital camera. I hate most of what I see digital wise, unless the photographer is very good.
    I scan all my negs for proofing, and that's it. Then it's off to the darkroom. I send my color work out, have it scanned for proofing,
    then back to the darkroom. The only reason I scan is to see if I REALLY like what I see on the neg.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm mostly analog. I do own a P&S digital.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have a few non flm cameras but i don't use them very much
    i shoot film and paper and when i can ... i put the image on paper in the dark.
    i proof and think about them in the ether, and sometimes
    make an offering and bow down to the numeric gods.
    oh well ...

Images
    I voted "totally", because I am. But I did borrow my daughter's new Nikon D90 today for something commercial I have to get out. It's the first time I've touched anything like this. I've been afraid to, sort of. But I think I'm strong enough to use it and not fall for it. ;o)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Totally analog. And if someone gave me a digital camera the first thing I'd have to do is tape over the LCD screen, then find a memory card that would only hold thirty-six images.

But I do have a fully digital water faucet installed in my darkroom. Am I soiled?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 09-22-2009 at 12:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Analog insofar as capturing fine art images goes. I do not scan my trannies (I don't have a scanner). I print directly from Velvia 50/100 or Provia 100F to Ilfochrome (sometimes a proof sheet) then to MGCF; that's where all the money goes, not to fancy electronic imaging or storage stuff.

Digital? I do have a Canon PowerShot G9 digi which I use as a "polaroid back" prior to commiting to film, mostly for assessing a scene I am unsure of, and which I may return to after further deliberations. The digi is also useful as a representation for clients wishing to see a sample of my finished (framed) work, chiefly small 800x600 images sent by email.

Black and white images, though rare, are shot on Ilford Delta 100 and printed to FB paper.

This commercially-driven madness/me-too'ism of promoting ever-increasing megapixels and technology gimmicks ahead of an ever-decreasing foundation in photographic skills is seriously tragic.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-21-2009 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm hybrid - I shoot both film and digital.
    • To meet clients needs - 95% digital, 5% film - business requirements
    • Personally B&W 100% analog
    • Colour - depends on what I am shooting

For most applications, I prefer film (tranny) but there are occasions when I need to shoot d***** for the sheer speed of it. (But I'll also try to knock off a few rolls of film at the same time if at all possible!)

I scan the trannies if I need to supply them digitally; have them printed as Cibachromes for display.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a 5+ year old digital camera that I use less than 1% of the time, and only to get images on the internet.

I have a film scanner that I use to put images on APUG, as well as a a multi-purpose printer/copier/scanner that I can scan prints with, also for APUG.

When I shoot colour negative film, I get inexpensive prints, which almost invariably the result of scanning and RA4 printing workflow.

Otherwise, I'm pretty analogue .

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Totally analog as regards my personal work, I have the facility to scan my LF negs (5x4) but choose not to.

Commercial work is a different matter, film use is rare, perhaps a shot here or there for a CD cover, magazine feature. It's not a matter of choice, you can't compete otherwise, and many of the films I used were the first to be dropped and there are no alternatives.

At present I do no hybrid work, I might if I start using alternative processes again.

Ian

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin