Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,839   Online: 960
      
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    Anscojohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,727
    Images
    13
    All being said, one fact remains: there are fiber-based paper prints that have lasted more than 125 + years. Recently I took a snap shot of my goddaughter at her wedding reception. I told the couple I would make a print for them that they could reasonably expect to be available to show to their great grand-children.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

  2. #12
    Ektagraphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,689
    Images
    23
    I'm really only a kid and I have a darkroom and I plan to make prints from film and shoot slides for as long as I can! There will certainly always be prints from me. Long live analog!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

  3. #13
    JBrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,780
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

    Drives crash, shoe boxes are lost in moves - it probably ends up being equal. Those who cared about their negatives and prints then will care about their files now. I cull my digital files and burn a cd now and then, myself.

    From the finder's point of view, though, it sure is nicer to stumble onto the shoebox of old prints than a random USB drive.
    Statistically, all hard drives fail, every single one. A few photo albums or shoe boxes get lost, damaged, or carelessly thrown away. I know almost nobody my age who hasn't a least some photographs of themselves as a child. I know quite a few people who have kids 10 and under who managed to wipe out their child's early years photographs forever. Most lay people have to learn the hard way. Sadly, it's not anywhere near equal.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Newtown, PA USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    407
    This was my argument against digital 10 years ago. Knowing how "well" (sarcasm) people take care of their digital data, I could see all the potential for disaster along the way. Cherrished family photos, weddings, pictures of kids, etc disappearing forever in the blink of a hard drive failure.

    0's and 1's don't store in old shoeboxes very well.

    At least if they get their digisnaps printed onto real RA-4 paper at a CVS or such they have SOMETHING tangible to hold on to.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    san jose, ca
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,515
    Images
    77
    Hmmm.... prints, what an interesting concept. I do have hundreds of rolls of negatives already processed. Someday If I don't die first, I'll print what's worth keeping.

    tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    625
    I know the arguments for and against digital archiving. I have a pocket hard drive which holds 10,000+ digital images from the past three or four years. Everyone in my household knows that in the event of a fire, the drive is always on the desk and it is to be grabbed, either by me or someone else. Otherwise, there is also the DVD backups of the raw files at a friend's house. But, since I am so far down the road to being a photographic luddite.. the negative and slides live in a large fireproof lockbox and that is also the thing to grab. Honestly, with the way things are going now, I expect to need to buy a larger lockbox before I need a new hard drive.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Newtown, PA USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

    Drives crash, shoe boxes are lost in moves - it probably ends up being equal. Those who cared about their negatives and prints then will care about their files now. I cull my digital files and burn a cd now and then, myself.

    From the finder's point of view, though, it sure is nicer to stumble onto the shoebox of old prints than a random USB drive.
    That's IF you can find something to plug a USB drive into in 30 years. Or an IDE/SATA hard drive. We don't even have to go back 30 years, not even close. Seen any computers with SCSI interfaces lately??? Wonder what's on those 3.5 floppys from just 10 years ago.

    The problem with archiving digital data is it requires CONSTANT turnover. Constantly putting it on newer mediums, constantly replacing those mediums before they fail, etc. Or spend the rest of your life paying for onine backups, then what happens after you die and nobody has your login info and nobody pays the bill for 90 days?

  8. #18
    darinwc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,037
    Images
    157
    I think photographers are more likely to take better care of the original images than most folk, either film or digital.

    Examples:My parent have bags of old prints, but NO negatives. This is especially dissapointing in regards to a black and white album of my fathers time in the navy. They were taken with a 6x6 brownie or duoflex type TLR. The prints are faded. My father has an excellent eye, and I would love to be able to reprint some of those fantastic shots. However he didnt keep any of the negatives.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Newtown, PA USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Hmmm.... prints, what an interesting concept. I do have hundreds of rolls of negatives already processed. Someday If I don't die first, I'll print what's worth keeping.

    tim in san jose
    At least prints can be made from negatives or, if need be, scanned. Good luck reassembling 10,000,000 corrupt 1's and 0's!!!

  10. #20
    hoffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,815
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    That's IF you can find something to plug a USB drive into in 30 years. Or an IDE/SATA hard drive. We don't even have to go back 30 years, not even close. Seen any computers with SCSI interfaces lately??? Wonder what's on those 3.5 floppys from just 10 years ago.

    The problem with archiving digital data is it requires CONSTANT turnover. Constantly putting it on newer mediums, constantly replacing those mediums before they fail, etc. Or spend the rest of your life paying for onine backups, then what happens after you die and nobody has your login info and nobody pays the bill for 90 days?
    Yeah, I suppose things like CD's were such a failure.....

    While I do agree that a photograph has just about become a throw away item for many, those who care will take the right steps and make the right decisions when backing up and maintaining either their Digital or Film based photographs. As a matter of fact, I have probably a more integeral routine with my digital photos then I do with my film ones (PC that has a mirrored raid setup. External Hard drives that my PC is backed up onto after each transfer of files. 3 separate backups of the files that I care about onto 2 different brands of DVD medium. Printing those that I really really care about as 6x4's and many 8x12's).

    I think Mr Brunner summed it up perfectly. People get what they deserve, but It does cut either way.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin