Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,189   Online: 756

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In addition to the good points made by other people, remember that many people *do* routinely get prints of their d*g*t*l photos, dropping off their card as if it were a roll of film and getting an envelope of prints back. They're not fine-art prints, but neither were most people's C-41 drugstore 4x6s fine-art prints a few years ago; and for that matter, the inkjet prints may well have better longevity than the C-41 prints.

In many ways, I think the archival sky fell with the move from black and white to the shorter-lived C-41 for most people's family snapshots, not so much the switch to d*g*t*l.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post

Examples:My parent have bags of old prints, but NO negatives.
    Same here. I recently made digital copies of some old family photos, with partial restoration, because some of those old prints are not in very good condition and can't be easily handled. I'm also scanning some slides from the 1970s that have faded somewhat. So film and prints are hardly perfect, mainly, like everything else, it depends a lot on how well you take care of things.

But what are the flea-market hounds of the future going to paw through? Boxes of old thumb drives? That doesn't sound like any fun.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin