Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,742   Online: 879

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

2015 - No Prints to be found.

I think it is bang on awesome that we have all this techie gear to make photographs with, truly I do. But during a presentation I gave in my class I had to ask a hard question. One that has been troubling me for a long time.

We were asked to bring in the “oldest” family pictures we could find. (Art History Class). Me with no family that goes back that far I displayed a picture of Marlon Brando as the Don. Makes sense right? Anywho… I’m the oldest one in my class, amount 17 and 18 year old future citizens and when I was done I asked them who prints there pictures? Only 2 out of about 30 raised their hands.

I asked them to think about their kids when they have this project and would it be a good idea just to stop off the local CVS and put you card into the machine and make prints just to keep in a box somewhere.

I really kinda worry about this. Then again, I have no life.

Shooter
    35mm
    People get what they deserve.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    This is something that I think about on occasion. In the last few years I have been to several funerals, a couple of anniversary parties, several graduation parties and too many weddings to count. At most of them, there is a slide show or photo display. I wonder how many such slide shows or photo displays there will be in the future, for example 18+ years from now when the newly weds celebrate the graduation of their first child.

In the past, negatives were filed away and prints went into an album. Either could be accessed when needed. With e-mailing photos and posting on line, more people see the photos when made, but I fear they will be lost because so few prints are made. How many photographers constantly update and back up old photos on the hard drive? Will they be readable in the future?

On the other hand, I read somewhere that there are more photographs in the world than there are bricks. In the old days, every exposure was printed, meaning that a lot of crap was filed away in shoe boxes. I think there is some room in the middle between printing every exposure and not printing any.

I think the lesson is if you have a photo worth preserving, you better make a print and put it somewhere safe. Personally, I err on the side of printing marginal images because who knows which image I will find compelling 20 years from now.

As a side note, about ten years ago my mother went through her photo boxes and made albums for my brother, sister and me. The albums had pictures starting with my great-grand parents continuing through my childhood. It was a great present. But I'm glad she labeled the older photos, there are photos of dead relatives I would not have been able to identify.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ..meaning that a lot of crap was filed away in shoe boxes.
    Think how much there is on folk's C-drives.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Hence the problem. Drives crash. For about 99% of digi users whose drives crash, this is fatal as far as their photos are concerned. It happens all the time.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photography or rather its images became volatile over the last years.
    And this not about drive crashes but a change of attitude.
    This is a major change.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post

I think the lesson is if you have a photo worth preserving, you better make a print and put it somewhere safe.
    I think you are 100 pct correct but I can't help thinking that my son will think that every photograph would be important after I'm gone and he has children and grandchildren.

That was indeed a lovely present from you Mother.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Wow, well said.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Drives crash, shoe boxes are lost in moves - it probably ends up being equal. Those who cared about their negatives and prints then will care about their files now. I cull my digital files and burn a cd now and then, myself.

From the finder's point of view, though, it sure is nicer to stumble onto the shoebox of old prints than a random USB drive.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And now that I'm hittin' 50 I also can't help but wonder if I "checked out" tomorrow would anyone even know to look for digital files on my computers. Doubt it. But my boy would grab the albums.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin