Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,848   Online: 1108

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Images

Best light meter-good for a laugh

I have lost my newest light meter, so I typed into google "best light meter" and came up with this. I found it very humorous.

Please note that I am not posting this as a way to bash digital. I just thought it funny

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspo...rs-c-2007.html
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ummm, yeah....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    News flash: The person who wrote that article is an idiot, a moron, and a dolt. The follow up comments are laughable as well. I will never cease to be amazed how technically inept so many supposed professionals on the Internet are, and by the ways in which they work. Goes to show you that making a living in photography has about 1% to do with technical matters. Good riddance from the world of analog photography!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More bulky cr*p to carry around? Yes please!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Humorous is right! To the point of the comments being almost hysterical.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Digit-hel crapola. Never replace my Leudi, dontchaknow!! Not to mention a candle and a grease spot in a juice can.
    Last edited by Anscojohn; 10-06-2009 at 10:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are they trying to get off their backs in the blog comments that follow the article?
    It's all a lot of pretentious, chest-beating, tongue-slapping piffle, v.i.z.:

You are entirely right. Light meters are completely useless, and were only marginally helpful even with film. All of us pros always leaned heavily on polaroids. Contrary to what one may think, the more lights and the more complicated the lighting set up, the more useless a light meter is.

I can't believe anyone buys them, but even more curious to me is that on any forum on any given day, someone will vehemently defend their use. It is almost like saying digital is as good as film. It drives some people crazy.

The facts are the facts, though. I don't know any pros who bother with light meters.

I know some amateurs who say it is important to use a light meter to impress the models.

Oh, come on! Not obviously a working professional!
    As the OP said at the start, "good for a laugh". My bloody oath it is. Fit for the garbage.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know some amateurs who say it is important to use a light meter to impress the models.
    First Model; Wow, look at that Leudi he has!
    2nd Model: You should see his grease spot in the juice can!
    Together: A REAL semi-professional photographer!!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APUG has had at least one member who consistently uses and recommends to others using Nikon F5/6 bodies in matrix metering mode to meter for 4x5 color transparency shots. They are his light meters for sheet film shooting. I've seen several others recommend something similar here on APUG.

Mike Johnston has been around photography as a magazine editor, equipment reviewer, and writer for decades, but has never made a living as a shooter, and admits that he may not be cut out for it. He sometimes uses hyperbole to make his points, but anyone who's read him over the years will know that he's not what you'd call dogmatic or inflexible in his thinking. He also puts his prejudices up front, and has things to say worth thinking about.

If you read what he says in the article then some of the responses here either assume he's lying about what he's seen in studios, or that he didn't admit that he may be missing something in his approach to thinking about light meters when doing digital photography, which is what the article is about. It's not about film photography. It's about not needing a light meter when you have instant digital feedback when shooting digital.

Lee

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    First Model; Wow, look at that Leudi he has!
    2nd Model: You should see his grease spot in the juice can!
    Together: A REAL semi-professional photographer!!
    Assuming the photographer is male...

Vaughn

PS...what I got from the article was -- understanding light is not important, understanding the histogram is.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin