Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,956   Online: 891

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blasphemous perhaps (sorry!), but why not make do with that single camera you need to take anyway?
    Hello Q.G.! I could leave with just the nikon, but it's digital and I'd like to shot a little bit of film as well. I'm planning to stay stay with the camera in my hans for the next 2 months, so I'd like to be able to get a bit of a change sometimes

p.s. I hope I understood the question correctly, if not I'm sorry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You did.

Than why not just take that film consuming Nikon body i think you said you have along as well?

Edit:
    Going back to page 1, i see you haven't mentioned a film eating Nikon.
    Too bad. Would have been the answer.

I plan trips on a what-can-i-carry basis.
    See what bag it needs to fit into, and consider how much it all weighs (airline restrictions. And all-day-carrying-on-your-shoulder restrictions). Then decide how little (it's always less than you would ideally want to) i can take without feeling too restricted.
    Last trip i took one body with four lenses. Only used three. (You always want more than you need ). Almost ran out of (impossible to get locally) film though. So i took a note for my next trip: less equipment, more film.

How about that? Less equipment? - Minimize!
    Bring more film instead.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 10-07-2009 at 09:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks again good idea about 'more films'! I have a nikon film body and I could actually take it with the dslr and the 24-70, but the nikon body feels very similar do the dslr and I wanted something that feels different and would feel more personal and artsy (I got a D90 and a F80..so they feel very similar )

Still I'm thinking very hard...hope to find the right combination soon!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can you put a roll film holder on your field camera?
    If so, i think it would be my choice for a different camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wouldn't bother with the "bring more film" approach - the stuff is quite available in Japan. Just make sure you have enough room to bring it all home again!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My first suggestion is to go with the N80 and another small lens or two if you have them. That combo won't get you a second camera with a really different feel, but this is also the strength of the combination; you'll have a pair of bodies that not only shares lenses and require no virtually no change in how you handle them while still netting you images with distinctly different looks.

That said, I understand the desire to have a medium format cam along. Unfortunately, other than I suppose your Holga, there's nothing in your collection that's very travel-friendly. We've all got different standards in this area, but I for one would not haul a medium format SLR on a trans-oceanic trip unless it was to be my primary camera. Specifically bought myself a Fuji GA645 in order to have a medium format rig that was lighter on its feet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It all adds up to quite a weighty payload reading through your list!

The Nikon digi with its zoom lens or the film-based Pentax and tripod will be quite sufficient as a combo for day to day travel — forget the flash.
    The HOLGA, being simple, light and reasonably compact (and film based, oh joy...) could hitch a ride along with you, but no — not a view camera or a Hassy, as much as you would like their company, the weight penalty for either or both is horrendous. You do have to compromise when backpacking, rather than succumb to the temptation of packing everything you think you may need, but won't (you'll be collecting stuff along the way, remember?). My camera gear (EOS1N + 17-40mm f4L +POL-C+SKY1B + Manfrotto CF tripod + Canon G9 digi) is 5.8kg all up—as much as I can comfortably carry, access and importantly, service all real, foreseeable eventualities when bushwalking.

Remember the more camera gear you have visible or carrying around, the more a potential target you present to potential thieves. KISS. (Keep it supremely simple).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

The tqo foremost questions that creep to mind are 1)how much weight are you willing to hump for two months and 2) how much room do you have? It's beena while since I was in 'hike the AT' shape but I used to plan out every square inch. These are important things to consider.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you so much guys. you are all being very helpful.

I thought about it and decided to leave the MF and LF home!

so the idea is to take the D90 with the 24-70 and either the F80 with a 50mm on it or the pentax with the 28mm and 50mm

the only thing that still bother me is the flash, as 'Poisson Du Jour' was saying I may leave it at home, even if I may need it for some fashion related stuff if the weather is not nice. still thinking.

anyway I'm going to try to fit everything in the bag and see how it fit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Honestly, the MF isn't a hassle to travel with...I've done so for weeks in China and with a bunch of other systems as well.

All goes to what you really want to do, which only you can answer. But mooseontheloose said it well -- I used MF a lot and the negs are so toasty nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin