Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,853   Posts: 1,582,909   Online: 1009

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm an old die hard. Take the Hassy, leave the rest behind enjoy the journey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    I'm an old die hard. Take the Hassy, leave the rest behind enjoy the journey.
    What he said.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, no.
    The two Nikons.
    The one, because you have to, the second because it makes sense.
    More versatile than one camera with just one lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Im facing a nearly identical situation. Im going to do a project on changes in my hometown. 2 or 3 weeks at least, lots of stomping around with the Domke.

I ended up choosing a Hassy 500c/m with an 80mm and Spotmatic with a Mamiya/Sekor f2.8 28mm, SMC Tak f1.4 50mm and Viv series 1 f2.8 135mm.

My reasoning was along these lines: My Canonet and Yashica GTN both take different batteries I can't get everywhere and are a bear to get fixed. The Spotty can be overnighted to Pittsburgh Camera Service. My Nikon F5 and 3 lenses would be really heavy (even with lithium batteries and the plastic Nikkors). My Bronica GS-1 is just a freaking beast, especially with the 50mm lens in the bag.

Also a big consideration was that I recently (less than a year) had the Spotmatic CLA'd and had the meter calibrated and got a split-image GG, CLA'd back and metered 45deg prism for the Hassy.

Personally, Im so tired of process that I don't give a rats ass about it anymore. Im entirely content to shoot my entire project on Ektar or 400BN or Neopan or whatever as long as I don't have to think about it. If I have to think about much more than subject and exposure I don't want to fuss with it and the Spotty and Hassy are about as simple as any camera can be (this side of a Brownie).

I will keep a Strobist kit (double fold umbrella, Viv 285HV, pair of Wizards) in the car but I'm betting they stay there.

The only bit of new gear I'm allowing myself on this are a carbon-fiber tripod and a good ballhead. My current tripod weighs about 7 lbs (seriously, it's a freakin beast). If it can't be done with mechanical cameras I already own, good glass, film and my feet, it ain't getting done.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As a long term resident of Japan, bring the MF camera. MF film is easy to find here and you will appreciate the extra negative size when you get back.

Japan is a beautiful country............enjoy your trip.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could get a decent 6x6 folder, something with a coupled RF.

I used an Iskra as my main & sometimes only travel camera while living in Europe. Decent sized negatives in a package that is smaller than many 35mm SLRs.

Or, something more modern like one of the Fuji 645 cameras?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For lightweight travelling a Mamiya 6 with a 50 & 75 are pretty much unbeatable, alternatively just go with the Blad and a standard lens.

Gary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    The only bit of new gear I'm allowing myself on this are a carbon-fiber tripod and a good ballhead. My current tripod weighs about 7 lbs (seriously, it's a freakin beast).
    A 7 lbs tripod? That's positively lightweight.
    Much lighter, and you might as well not bother with a tripod at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin