Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,371   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Traveling - which camera?

Hello everyone!

I have tried to search for this topic on the forum but couldn't find much info about I hope this question hasn't been asked often.

What kind of camera equipment would you recommend for traveling (backpacking) ?

I recently finished my studies in photography and I'm going to be in Japan for nearly 2 months and will travel as "photographer" for the first time (exciting!).

I will be shooting a little bit of fashion there so I'll have to bring my DSLR with 24-70 lens which will do most of the job there (and flash probably, even if I wish I didn't had to carry it..) and tripod.

I have room for a second camera for more fun ( FILM! ) (will bring an Holga too I think!)

the option are either a small pentax k100 with a wide angle lens that would let me photograph life there without having the big black camera out and being seen as "the photographer"

an old hasselblad camera with a 80mm lens

or a wood field camera very light with a wide angle as well.

I'm thinking more about the pentax but having bigger resolution would be nice as well.

Anyway I'm usually not a travel photographer, so I would love to hear advices if you have any :-D

thank you very much!

Flora

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What duration will you be packing for? Daytrip, overnight, weeklong, months afoot? This all make a huge difference. Daytrip would be whatever you feel like humping around. Weeks afoot would require more room for the house on your back and thus less room available for your gear. What are your aims?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mamiya 7. Compact and lightweight. Can share film with your Holga. Very high image quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go with your K100 because it is smaller and lighter.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mamiya 6/6mf/7/7ii.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flora -- Japan is the land of photographers (and tourists) -- your "big black camera" will not turn heads in the slightest. I was there for two months this summer and got more attention from my film cameras than I ever have before (in a good way). I think quite a few people are still wistful for the days when they still shot film. That being said, outside of Tokyo or Osaka, it is very difficult to find film larger than 35mm -- I was rationing my roll film at the end there. What do you hope to shoot with the field camera? There are a lot of places where you will NOT be able to set up a tripod, although that depends on where and what you want to shoot.

I brought 5 cameras with me this summer -- a Bronica SQA with 3 lenses, a Nikon FE (for infrared), a Nikon F100 (for colour slide) + three lenses to go with both Nikons, a Holga, and a pinhole camera. Of the three, I used the Bronica SQA with 80mm the most (probably 80% of all shots) -- I wanted the bigger the negative, and the 80mm was fine in many cases (especially for street shots). So I would probably recommend the Hassie, although going a little wider wouldn't hurt, if you have the option of bringing a second lens. That being said, I had a car all summer, so I didn't have to carry all that stuff around with me all the time. If you truly are backpacking, then the Pentax would probably be a better choice. In the end though, it really does depend on what you want to get out of your photography there. And only you can answer that question.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Decide what kind of photos you want to take - that will determine the kind of camera you should bring. If you are planning to do a lot of "street" type photos of people in their daily activities, then the Pentax would probably be the best. If your interest lies in architecture and landscape, then the 4x5 field camera. If you have no idea what you want to shoot, bring the Hasselblad.

Before you decide what camera you want to bring, do some research on the places you will be staying, pull them up on google maps and see if folks have posted shots of the various highlights of the area, so you can get a feel for the terrain, the distances involved, and the overall atmosphere of the place. Dig through travel guides to see if there will be events happening there that you would want to attend with a camera. Will they be day or night events? Factor all these things together to determine what's the best camera for YOUR PURPOSES.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you everyone for your quick answers.

I really wish I had a Mamiya 7, it would be a great camera for this trip.

anyway since I can't get one at the moment I'll have to do with the stuff I have now

I'm going to be backpacking, but I'll bring just a sleeping bag with me, no tent. I'm going to stay with a few families there and then will go stay at monastery and work in a biological farm for a few days as well. but anyway I'm trying to travel light as I will go around a lot.

My main reason for going there is to do those fashion shoots I'm going to do for work, and then to photograph life there. Like the monks I'm going to stay with or the farmers and then the nature as well. I was thinking about the LF camera because it's the only camera I have with a real wide angle lens. but bringing film, slides and everything may be complicated maybe.

I'm confused. maybe the pentax is actually the best idea. the only thing that bother me a little is to have two cameras that are actually the same format (even if one of the two is digital), but they do shoot differently right? I also have a nikon film body that take not much space, mmh too many choices..

I only have the 80mm lens on the hassy and will need to meter the light with the light meter, but still the bigger negative is always so appealing.

Anyway I really need to make a choice, but it's difficult..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Before you decide what camera you want to bring, do some research on the places you will be staying, pull them up on google maps and see if folks have posted shots of the various highlights of the area, so you can get a feel for the terrain, the distances involved, and the overall atmosphere of the place. Dig through travel guides to see if there will be events happening there that you would want to attend with a camera. Will they be day or night events? Factor all these things together to determine what's the best camera for YOUR PURPOSES.
    that's a very good idea thank you TheFlyingCamera!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blasphemous perhaps (sorry!), but why not make do with that single camera you need to take anyway?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin