Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,522   Online: 1040

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Let's talk tripods... or more specifically legs...

is there a significant stability difference between a multi element leg like bogen's 3246 vs. a single tubular type?

thanks
    -Jake

Photography by the seat of my pants.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I personally find the leg struts helpful, but I use heavier cameras in rougher terrain much of the time. There is a trade off in easy of use/speed/weight, but for me the struts are worth it. It's a very personal choice...

- Randy

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    well, i'm on the verge of purchasing either a c220 or a rb67. so for now i would need medium weight support, but in the future i might go to 4x5 (although there are no immediate plans i can see it happening at some point). i'd rather get something now that wouldn't need to be replaced later. also, i mostly shoot in nature where then ground is uneven etc. so my thought is that the strut type might work better, even though it's not quite as portable.
    -Jake

Photography by the seat of my pants.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a fan of strut type tripods. Bogen has(had?) the 3021 which was a nice compromise in size & weight.
    sturdy enough for 4X5 & light enough not to be left in the car.
    Gitzo too has a whole wad of leg sets to consider, the Studex series especially.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Manfrotto 055 CLB has done the job so far, not a light tripod to carry around IMHO, but gives me stability, that's the important thing I think.

My setup:

PS- I don't use the center column

Cheers
    Last edited by André E.C.; 10-09-2009 at 05:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add Post Scriptum

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJake View Post
    well, i'm on the verge of purchasing either a c220 or a rb67. so for now i would need medium weight support, but in the future i might go to 4x5 (although there are no immediate plans i can see it happening at some point). ....
    When I asked the pro who sold me my RZ67 about enlargers, he said many who move to MF eventually go to 4x5. I bought one that would print 35mm-4x5. The arguments about tripods are endless. Do searches here and the LF Forum. I was very happy with a three section Gitzo under both MF and 4x5 (Linhof TK45), using a 1570 magnesium head.

As I have gone to larger formats, gotten older and used a baby jogger to carry all, I have seen the advantages of big Ries two part legs. The 7x17 or the 8x10 ride mounted on the tripod with the spikes through the footboard. The set up camera stays in place even when the earth moves.

The jogger gives me a two mile out range rather than 50 feet from the car. It is good on trails and open fields and woods. If you need to do cliffs and stairs get a mule.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Velbon Carmagne 640 and will opt for a Manfrotto 410 geared head if I buy a 4x10 camera or a 405 if I buy a 5x12. Extra stabilization will be via a bunji cord or other stretching material stepped on to pull the legs inward and downward. One long cord wraps around the legs then through a loop at the bottom of the center column and then to the ground. I used the bunji method all the time when I shot 4x5 and it always worked quite well. The awkwardness of dealing with the bunji cord is a fair trade-off to extra tripod weight, IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Bogen 3021 / Manfrotto 055 series leg set is good for most MF and for most 4x5 field cameras. I'd contend that it's not sturdy enough for many 4x5 monorails.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andre, I have your precise setup and I've used it for 15 years. It's still terrific. I'll be buying a carbon fibre tripod before too long for weight reasons, but I'll be keeping my existing tripod for when I don't care as much about the weight.

I use a 4x5 Shen Hao on it and have no issues.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin