Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,296   Online: 913

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sputnik (medium format stereo camera)

I just got a Sputnik camera. I've been wanting one for some time now--I really like 3-D/stereo photography but was never really happy with the half of a 35mm frame size. Unfortunately, the Sputnik is leaving a lot to be desired. I knew I was in for some modification, but frankly the thing is really not made well at all. I ran a roll through today...we shall see if the results are any good. I'm hoping it will be better than I am expecting (I've read really good things about them). Anyway, this is one of my typical posts with no real point. I guess if there are any APUGgers that have a Sputnik I would love to hear any tips/thoughts/etc. I really do wish there was a quality medium format stereo camera!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing to add, but I'm curious to hear about how it works out for you when you do get to review the results of the first roll. I feel the same way---the world really needs stereo medium format---and I've long had a bit of gadget lust towards the Sputnik for that reason.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This company makes a stereo camera, although it is probably not what you are looking for (wet plate I guess), but still nice to see:

http://www.starcameracompany.com/

See the "Scovil Style Stereo Camera" in the index on the left on this page:

http://www.starcameracompany.com/index2.htm

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Sputnik, and I think it is my favourite camera, despite its flaws.

The first thing I did when I got mine was take it entirely to pieces, clean everything, adjust the shutter times, lubricate the self-timer... This thing came out of a Russian tractor factory fifty years ago, and it shows.

I've added some self-adhesive flocking material inside to reduce reflections, and I've added a pair of lens hoods. The biggest flaw is the light trap around the back doors: it doesn't trap much light. I stuck thin strips of the same flocking material all around, but it's not perfect. I might try gluing a length of black wool into the groove some time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I had the knowledge, I would adjust the shutters and re-lube everything. I did the flocking paper yesterday and I have a few ideas for the body light leaks that I assume are there. I'm working on getting the lens shades, should have them soon!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take care to ensure the film is lined up properly with the guides next to the rollers; the first roll I put through mine got a bit mangled.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    I really do wish there was a quality medium format stereo camera!
    There's the Chinese made "3D World" camera, yours for just $1,795: http://home.att.net/~sales3d/WMFcameraRedesigned.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw that Chinese camera...a bit high of a price. That's why I went with a Sputnik. Last night I spent a good many hours thinking about how to make one that shoots onto 4x5 film...we shall see if I ever get past the day dreaming phase!
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    ... Last night I spent a good many hours thinking about how to make one that shoots onto 4x5 film...we shall see if I ever get past the day dreaming phase!
    but that's easy...

here you can buy stereo lenses:
    http://www.mwclassic.com/acatalog/On...LENSES_37.html
    (scroll down a little)

put them in front of a normal 4x5 (or larger) camera - make a septum to devide the inside of the camera, and you're ready to go...

OR

find something like the attached image ;-)

(I have a Sputnik, and I love it - difficult to use, but there is nothing wrong with it...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stereo gandolfi.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got back the first roll--amazingly there was only one instance of a light leak. Unfortunately, one lens is not focusing properly and the shutter on the same side is slower than the other. Anybody know who works on these in the USA? Assuming I can get those issues figured out, it might be a somewhat usable camera.
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin