Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,226   Posts: 1,532,679   Online: 840

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Magic Lantern - Anyone know anything about it?

So, I bought this magic lantern on ebay yesterday to get the Darlot lens that's on it.

There's no manufacturer's name on it. I looked on a few websites but didn't see one like it. Frankly, I don't think it's that interesting looking but I don't know anything about these. Is it worth the extra $20-25 to get the entire thing shipped to me or should I just have the lens shipped?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled2.jpg   untitled.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's worth the postage, it's the kind of thing I'd collect.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It looks like a pretty generic magic lantern. I'd get the seller to ship just the lens as long as you're absolutely positive they'll send you the lens flange. If there's the tiniest bit of doubt on them removing the flange, have them ship the whole thing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I went with just the lens. Lens, flange and screws arrived safely. It's pretty hefty, and a petzval (although I didn't see any swirliness on 5x7), and seems to have lots of coverage.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Cool. The coverage with Petzvals is roughly equal to the focal length. So, either you didn't shoot a subject that shows off the swirls (like trees) or you need to shoot with a larger format. The diagonal of 5x7 is 8.6", so "a lot of coverage" probably makes your lens at least a 10" focal length. It should cover full plate and possibly 8x10.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin