Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,496   Online: 969

Shooter
    35mm

Enlargers at Auction (US)

For those of you in or near the southwest Virginia area of the US, looking for an enlarger: Saturday, the 24th of October - there are several photo enlargers in the next university auction in Blacksburg. The auction list is here:
    http://www.purch.vt.edu/Surplus/auction102409.pdf

They are items 282 - 285 on page 8 of the list. These usually go very inexpensively. Last year I picked up a clean, usable Omega D5 with lenses and negative carriers for $30. As with all auctions, the quality of items can vary greatly, as can sale prices. Caveat emptor - educate yourself and know about what you'll be bidding for!

I have no connection to the university or the auction - just posting this for those of you who may be interested. Lots of other stuff in the auction, too, for you junk junkies.

TR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These may be from a student lab, but you may have one of the two D5's that I used to print 2,000 custom B&W prints a month with back in the late 80's for the Va Tech "media center".

Lee

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess this post would better be placed in the New England section.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I guess this post would better be placed in the New England section.
    Southwest Virginia is definitely not in New England. If Bonn were Blacksburg, VA, Lithuania and Latvia would be New England. Mid-Atlantic is a bit nearer the mark.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 10-15-2009 at 03:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked up what section could fit. I was sure that it was not New-England. But for some reason looked up New-England in an encyclopedia and the first thing I came across was Virginia.

Blame me on negligently reading encyclopedias.
    Blame TR for putting this in the general section so that an European may struggle in US geography...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I looked up what section could fit. I was sure that it was not New-England. But for some reason looked up New-England in an encyclopedia and the first thing I came across was Virginia.

Blame me on negligently reading encyclopedias.
    Blame TR for putting this in the general section so that an European may struggle in US geography...
    I'll blame Karl May's books. His fictional western U.S. characters made three day horseback trips from Montana to Louisiana, 2200 km or so, forever distorting Germans' perception of distances in the US. I'm assuming, of course, that Germans are pretty well aware that horses don't carry riders cross country that fast, otherwise they might have a distorted view of how fast a loaded horse can travel.

U.S. regional names are also distorted by the time frames during which names were bestowed. Ohio is still the 'midwest' and Minnesota was considered the 'northwest', and that usage has stuck to a great degree, even after the country expanded well past those names making descriptive sense. No one looking at a current map would bestow those terms on those areas.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Growing up in the "Midwest" as a kid I always thought the rest of the nation was just distorted on the map to make it look bigger (like the mercator projection of Greenland) and somehow we really were in the middle of the nation
    Last edited by ic-racer; 10-16-2009 at 11:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin