Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,508   Online: 974

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do you send out film for processing?

Hi all--
    For those of you that send out film for processing, what (if anything) could a lab offer to get you to send to them? What types of services/prices would it take to get you to switch to a different lab? I'm thinking that a lot of people send all their film to Dwayne's (assuming they shoot Kodachrome) but might look for a different lab after Dec. 2010. So...how do you pick? Price? Distance? Testimonials? Something else?
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the labs I use (except Dwayne's for Kodachrome) are local, so I hand deliver my film.

When you ask about "sending out" film, are you including hand delivered film?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No. I shoot only b&w film with the rare exception of one roll of 400 Portra in 120 this year. That will go to a local lab unless I get some C41 chem and do it myself. It's dead easy even without a fancy processor.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking via mail or what not. I live in a what I consider a major city (San Francisco) but we have no lab worth a crap anymore!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Only just started back on film but got my first lot of negs back from Fuji and well pleased with the results
    There Is A Bustle In My Hedgerow

My Film Shots On Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Professionalism, fast turnaround and most importantly high quality, at a reasonable price.

I've used Pro labs for over35 years with no problems for a large part of my colour work. I've also done my own E3/4, E6 as well as C41 and RA-4, plus some Cibachrome (Ilfochrome).

At one time nearly all large cities had quite a choice of labs but usually 2 or 3 stood ahead of the rest, my nearest city in the UK is down to one labe with a full range of services on the premises. Other labs offer the range but farm the work out.

You need to know the market place.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would agree with Ian. Most important is consistent high quality work, but of course at a reasonable price.

I'm fortunate to have a local lab that currently fills that need and while it's a few miles out of my way, I try to patronize them.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I live in the boondocks and have to take a ferry to actually get onto the mainland, so all color film gets sent out. All I really ask from the lab is that they charge me reasonable rates and do what they're supposed to competently. The only perk coming to mind which Dwayne's has given is that I get an email when they're done and are sending my stuff back.

Might switch if another lab offered a more streamlined system to do business with them. One thing I don't like about Dwayne's is how unwieldy their order forms are. With separate forms for E6, C41 and B&W, the implication is that their S&H charges will "restart" for each category, discouraging me from mixing different films in a batch.

Shooter
    35mm
    So far, It's my only good option. I live in a mid sized town (around 20.000hab) but nothing decent here.
    I found an interesting lab in Madrid, Still haven't tried them, but heard positive feedback. Their E6 is interesting, C41 expensive (with prints or scanning).
    Have 4 rolls to process, so I might have to send it one of these days.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll gladly pay a bit more, wait a bit longer, if that means getting better quality.

Until recently, i could get my colour film processed locally.
    They generally did a good job, but too many the times that there was something to complain about (mostly about how they physically handled the film).
    Now they stopped doing roll film (even though they themselves say it was and would still be a good source of income for them - i still don't understand their decision to stop, and am positive they don't either. But that's another story). Though i can still drop the film off locally, it gets send out, and if my timing is not spot on, i have to wait up to two weeks (was 1 hour before ).
    I am pleased though that all the handling issues have disappeared.

I have considered getting one of those small autolab-type thingies, and start processing my colour films myself.
    But then i not only have to do all of the messy business, but also need a good, fast supply of fresh chemical kits.
    I don't think that would be a change for the better.

So i drop off and wait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin